Top Stories
Trump claims to have ended six wars – is that true? | Ukraine

As he touted his bona fides as the so-called “peacemaker-in-chief” during talks over Ukraine at the White House on Tuesday, Donald Trump made two big claims: that he wants peace deals instead of ceasefires, and that he has ended six wars since he became president.
But in his haste to hammer out a peace deal in Ukraine, Trump is playing fast and loose with the truth.
Trump and his administration have claimed to have helped settle the conflicts between Israel and Iran, the Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda, Cambodia and Thailand, India and Pakistan, Serbia and Kosovo, and Egypt and Ethiopia.
Yet the claim to have settled those conflicts is embellished and in some cases contradicted by continued violence in countries like DR Congo, where Rwanda-backed rebels missed a deadline to reach a peace deal in Doha on Tuesday.
In Iran, the US carried out its own strikes using bunker-buster bombs against military and nuclear facilities before strong-arming Iran to accept a ceasefire. India has denied that Trump played any role in reaching a ceasefire deal with Pakistan to end days of strikes over the disputed Kashmir territory in May. Egypt and Ethiopia have no deal to settle the root of their conflict – a Nile River dam constructed by Ethiopia that would divert water from Egypt. And Serbia has denied it had any plans to pursue a war with Kosovo, although Trump took credit for preventing one.
On the subject of ceasefires, by Trump’s own admission, he has often been seeking them in these conflicts. Now, he has sought to rewrite the record, piling pressure on Ukraine.
Trump’s declaration that he was not seeking a ceasefire in Ukraine came after meeting Vladimir Putin in Alaska last week where the Russian president initially demanded that Ukraine cede control over territory in the country’s southeast before negotiating a ceasefire.
The question is crucial to the sequencing of an eventual peace in Ukraine: Putin wants to decide which territory Russia will retain while the fighting still rages, while Kyiv has demanded the guns fall silent in a ceasefire before any decisions are made over territorial claims.
By Monday’s meetings with European leaders, Trump had said he was no longer pursuing a ceasefire.
“If you look at the six deals that I settled this year, they were all at war. I didn’t do any ceasefires,” Trump stated, telling Zelenskyy, “I don’t think you need a ceasefire.”
But his record speaks otherwise. On 10 May, after the outbreak of violence between India and Pakistan, Trump announced: “After a long night of talks mediated by the United States, I am pleased to announce that India and Pakistan have agreed to a FULL AND IMMEDIATE CEASEFIRE. Congratulations to both Countries on using Common Sense and Great Intelligence.”
On 26 July, Trump said he was calling the leaders of Thailand and Cambodia in order to call for a ceasefire after three days of border fighting. “The call with Cambodia has ended, but expect to call back regarding War stoppage and Ceasefire based on what Thailand has to say,” he wrote. “I am trying to simplify a complex situation!”
And on Israel and Iran, Trump had also written: “It has been fully agreed by and between Israel and Iran that there will be a Complete and Total CEASEFIRE.”
MSNBC, the US television news station, posted a compilation of Trump calling for a ceasefire in Ukraine in the weeks and days before his meetings with Putin and then Zelenskyy.
But Trump – looking for a quick win – has rewritten his record as he edges closer to a Putin-endorsed roadmap to ending a conflict that has proved much harder to solve than he had once thought.
Top Stories
Aid flotilla with Greta Thunberg set to sail for Gaza to ‘break illegal siege’ | Greta Thunberg

A flotilla carrying humanitarian aid and activists, including Swedish climate campaigner Greta Thunberg, is due to leave from Barcelona on Sunday to try to “break the illegal siege of Gaza”, organisers said.
The vessels will set off from the Spanish port city to “open a humanitarian corridor and end the ongoing genocide of the Palestinian people”, said the Global Sumud Flotilla.
They did not say how many ships would set sail or the exact time of departure.
The flotilla is expected to arrive at the war-ravaged coastal enclave in mid-September.
“This will be the largest solidarity mission in history, with more people and more boats than all previous attempts combined,” Brazilian activist Thiago Ávila told journalists in Barcelona last week.
Organisers say that dozens of other vessels are expected to leave Tunisian and other Mediterranean ports on 4 September.
Activists will also stage simultaneous demonstrations and other protests in 44 countries “in solidarity with the Palestinian people”, Thunberg, who is part of the flotilla’s steering committee, wrote on Instagram.
As well as Thunberg, the flotilla will include activists from several countries, European lawmakers and public figures such as former Barcelona mayor Ada Colau.
“We understand that this is a legal mission under international law,” leftwing Portuguese lawmaker Mariana Mortágua, who will join the mission, told journalists in Lisbon last week.
Israel has already blocked two attempts by activists to deliver aid by ship to Gaza, in June and July.
In June, 12 activists on board the sailboat Madleen were intercepted by Israeli forces 185km west of Gaza. Its passengers, who included Thunberg, were detained and eventually expelled.
In July, 21 activists from 10 countries were intercepted as they tried to approach Gaza in another vessel, the Handala.
Top Stories
No. 9 LSU outlasts No. 4 Clemson as Garrett Nussmeier outduels Cade Klubnik in top-10 showdown

No. 9 LSU went on the road and shocked No. 4 Clemson 17-10 to pick up a crucial road victory and firmly cement its place in the national championship picture. The battle went down to the final minutes, but LSU coach Brian Kelly finally picked up his first season-opening victory as Tigers coach.
Tied 10-10 at the start of the fourth quarter, LSU quarterback Garrett Nussmeier put together a legacy drive. After he was roughed on a completion to Aaron Anderson, Nussmeier ran for a third-down conversion and then found tight end Trey’Dez Green for an 8-yard touchdown to give LSU a lead it would never surrender.
Clemson had three more chances to get back into the end zone, turning it over on downs once and going three-and-out to set up a pivotal final drive. Clemson quarterback Cade Klubnik completed a big-time pass to T.J. Moore while taking a shot to lead a drive into the red zone. Facing fourth-and-4, LSU defender Harold Perkins brought pressure and forced an incompletion to end the game.
Playing against a phenomenal Clemson defense, Nussmeier stepped up big, completing 28 of 38 passes for 230 yards and a touchdown in the win. Anderson was his top target, catching six passes for 99 yards, including a 39-yarder. Running back Caden Durham went for 74 yards and a touchdown. Klubnik was strong, throwing for 230 yards, with four receivers hitting four catches. However, the lack of running game (20 carries for 31 yards) stood tall in the biggest moments.
Read on below for takeaways from LSU’s season-opening win over Clemson on Saturday.
Top Stories
Powerball jackpot jumps to an estimated $1.1 billion after no winning tickets in Saturday’s drawing

The Powerball jackpot has risen to an estimated $1.1 billion, the fifth-largest ever in the game’s history, after there were no winning tickets for Saturday night’s $1 billion grand prize.
Saturday’s winning numbers were 3, 18, 22, 27 and 33, with a Powerball of 17. There were nine tickets that matched all five white balls to win $1 million, but no ticket matched all six.
The $1.1 billion jackpot for Monday night’s drawing has an estimated cash value of $498.4 million.
Based on the jackpot estimate, a single jackpot winner Monday would have the choice of taking a lump sum payment of $498.4 million before taxes, or going with the annuity option, which would consist of one immediate payment followed by 29 annual payments that increase by 5% each year, each payment also before taxes.
Saturday’s drawing marked the sixth time in the game’s 33-year history that the top prize has climbed to the billion-dollar mark.
No one has won Powerball’s jackpot since May 31, when a single ticket in California won a $204.5 million jackpot with a cash value of $91.6 million.
Four of the five previous billion-plus-jackpot-winning tickets were sold in California, including a single ticket sold in Altadena in 2022 that claimed a $2.04 billion jackpot, the largest in both Powerball and lottery history.
The next drawing, which takes place from the Florida Lottery live draw studio in Tallahassee, is on Monday at 11 p.m. ET. Tickets are $2 and are sold in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
contributed to this report.
-
Tools & Platforms3 weeks ago
Building Trust in Military AI Starts with Opening the Black Box – War on the Rocks
-
Ethics & Policy1 month ago
SDAIA Supports Saudi Arabia’s Leadership in Shaping Global AI Ethics, Policy, and Research – وكالة الأنباء السعودية
-
Events & Conferences3 months ago
Journey to 1000 models: Scaling Instagram’s recommendation system
-
Business2 days ago
The Guardian view on Trump and the Fed: independence is no substitute for accountability | Editorial
-
Jobs & Careers2 months ago
Mumbai-based Perplexity Alternative Has 60k+ Users Without Funding
-
Funding & Business2 months ago
Kayak and Expedia race to build AI travel agents that turn social posts into itineraries
-
Education2 months ago
VEX Robotics launches AI-powered classroom robotics system
-
Podcasts & Talks2 months ago
Happy 4th of July! 🎆 Made with Veo 3 in Gemini
-
Podcasts & Talks2 months ago
OpenAI 🤝 @teamganassi
-
Mergers & Acquisitions2 months ago
Donald Trump suggests US government review subsidies to Elon Musk’s companies