Top Stories
Trump administration revokes security clearances of 37 current and former government officials

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration said Tuesday that it was revoking the security clearances of 37 current and former national security officials in the latest act of retribution targeting public servants from the federal government’s intelligence community.
A memo from Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard accuses the singled-out individuals of having engaged in the “politicization or weaponization of intelligence” to advance personal or partisan goals, failing to safeguard classified information, failing to “adhere to professional analytic tradecraft standards” and other unspecified “detrimental” conduct.
The memo did not offer evidence to back up the accusations.
Many of the officials who were targeted left the government years ago after serving in both senior national security positions and lower-profile roles far from the public eye.
Some worked on matters that have long infuriated Trump, like the intelligence community assessment that Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election on his behalf. And several signaled their concerns about Trump by signing a critical letter in 2019 that was highlighted on social media last month by right-wing provocateur and close Trump ally Laura Loomer.
The action is part of a broader Trump administration campaign to wield the levers of government against perceived adversaries, and it reflects the president’s continued distrust of career intelligence officials he has long seen as working against his interests.
The revocation of clearances has emerged as a go-to tactic for the administration, a strategy that critics say risks chilling dissenting voices from a national security community accustomed to drawing on a range of viewpoints before formulating an assessment.
“These are unlawful and unconstitutional decisions that deviate from well-settled, decades-old laws and policies that sought to protect against just this type of action,” Mark Zaid, a national security lawyer whose own clearance was revoked by the Trump administration, said in a statement.
He called it hypocritical for the administration to “claim these individuals politicized or weaponized intelligence.”
Gabbard on Tuesday defended the move, which she said had been directed by Trump.
“Being entrusted with a security clearance is a privilege, not a right,” she wrote on X. “Those in the Intelligence Community who betray their oath to the Constitution and put their own interests ahead of the American people have broken the sacred trust they promised to uphold.”
The security clearance suspension comes amid a broader effort by Gabbard and other Trump administration officials to revisit the intelligence community’s assessment on Russian election interference, including by declassifying a series of years-old documents meant to cast doubt on the legitimacy of its findings.
Multiple government investigations have reached the same conclusion that Russia interfered in the 2016 election in sweeping fashion, including through a hack-and-leak operation of Democratic emails and a social media campaign aimed at sowing discord and swaying public opinion.
But Trump has long resisted the assessment that Russian President Vladimir Putin interfered in his favor, and his Justice Department has authorized a grand jury investigation that could bring fresh scrutiny to Obama-era officials.
Security clearances are important not only for current government workers but also former ones whose private-sector jobs require them to retain access to sensitive information. Stripping clearances from such employees could make it hard for them to do their jobs.
On his first day of office, Trump said he would revoke the security clearances of the more than four dozen former intelligence officials who signed a 2020 letter saying that the Hunter Biden laptop saga bore the hallmarks of a “Russian information operation.”
He’s also revoked the clearances of former President Joe Biden and former Vice President Kamala Harris, and he attempted to do the same for lawyers at a spate of prominent law firms but was rebuffed by federal judges.
Some of those who were targeted in the latest action were part of Biden’s national security team. Many only learned of the Gabbard action from news reports Tuesday, said two former government officials who were on the list. Both spoke on the condition of anonymity as they ponder whether to take legal action.
Top Stories
‘Way too much’: Utah violinist’s detention by immigration officials sparks backlash from backers

SALT LAKE CITY — That federal immigration officials are taking aim at John Shin, a violinist originally from South Korea, is a misuse of resources, Gabriel Gordon charges.
“That is just way too much for somebody who gives so much to this community and to this society. He’s a great father and a great husband and a great friend and a great musician, and this just shouldn’t be happening to him,” said Gordon, a fellow violinist.
Shin, who has a master’s degree in music performance from the University of Utah and has performed with the Utah Symphony and Ballet West, has long lived in Utah. He now finds himself in a federal immigration detention center in Aurora, Colorado.
Shin’s Salt Lake City lawyer, Adam Crayk, offered stronger words. A hearing in his client’s case is set for next Tuesday.
“Unless there is something out there, some sort of smoking gun that the government is hiding that’s going to be revealed in his first court (appearance), this is one of the most dumb, idiotic, egregious wastes of federal resources that I’ve had to deal with in a while,” Crayk said.
Shin legally entered the country, he noted, and has been married to an American woman for four years.
Shin, brought from South Korea as a child by his father, was unexpectedly detained on Aug. 18 by immigration officials, part of President Donald Trump’s crackdown on illegal immigration across the country. The arrest has prompted a strong public outcry from his family and supporters. Gordon and oboist Nicole Fullmer — longtime friends — have been regularly playing music in the rotunda of the Utah Capitol in Salt Lake City to call attention to what they view as a miscarriage of justice.
“He is a wonderful person. He is good for the community. He is a positive influence on everyone he touches. He absolutely does not deserve to be deported,” said Fullmer. She studied music at the U. with Shin and Shin’s American wife Danae Snow, who plays the viola.
Regardless, as immigration officials ratchet up efforts around the country to detain and deport immigrants in the country illegally, federal officials offered their own tough response.
Gordon understands Shin entered the United States on an immigrant visa and later secured status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which allows eligible immigrants brought to the country illegally by their parents to remain and work in the United States. However, a senior U.S. Department of Homeland Security official stated that Shin entered the country from South Korea in 1998 on a tourist visa. That visa, according to the official, required him to leave the following year.
“Over 25 years later, he was still illegally in the U.S.,” reads the statement to KSL.com from the official. Trump and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem “are committed to restoring integrity to the visa program and ensuring it is not abused to allow aliens a permanent one-way ticket to remain in the U.S. Our message is clear: Criminal illegal aliens are not welcome in the United States.”
While the Trump administration’s approach has garnered support from many, Shin’s backers are equally resolute, and the case underscores the complex sentiments the immigration issue has stirred. Shin and his family have received nearly $70,000 in donations from supporters as part of a GoFundMe campaign to raise funds for his legal defense and his backers are planning a benefit concert on Monday, Sept. 1, for Shin.
The case also highlights the debate about the weight of prior brushes with the law, particularly if they’re relatively minor, in determining whether immigrants face the force of the immigration crackdown.
The Department of Homeland Security said Shin’s “criminal history includes a DUI conviction,” that is, a conviction for driving under the influence, presumably of alcohol. Crayk, though, said the 2019 charge, originally driving under the influence, was ultimately reduced to the less-severe driving while impaired, a class B misdemeanor.
He said the impaired driving charge “requires no sort of forgiveness, no sort of waiver” to fix Shin’s migratory status.
“We just have to prove he entered the United States lawfully and that he is legitimately married to a United States citizen,” Crayk said. He didn’t immediately respond to a query about the significance of immigration officials’ contention that Shin overstayed a tourist visa, supplied after Crayk initially spoke with KSL.com.
Crayk blasted the apparent resources that immigration officials poured into Shin’s detention. He was detained, the lawyer said, by a special Department of Homeland Security team that typically focuses on immigrant fugitives involved in drug trafficking and other serious crimes. Indeed, at next Tuesday’s hearing, Shin will seek release from detention on bond, and meeting the requirements — showing that he’s not a danger to the community or a flight risk — “should be fairly easy,” Crayk said.
Meantime, Shin now regularly speaks by phone with his wife, though she was initially unable to reach him after his arrest. “He’s maintaining a relatively positive attitude,” Crayk said.
Members of the music community, for their part, are getting word out about Shin’s case and trying to drum up support for him. They’ve launched a letter-writing campaign aimed at the immigration judge in Shin’s case to demonstrate the community’s backing for him. Next Monday’s benefit concert, featuring Shin’s musician friends and Kurt Bestor, a Grammy-nominated musician, is set for 7 p.m. and will be held at First United Methodist Church at 203 S. 200 East in Salt Lake City.
“John is probably one of the kindest people I know. He’s just always very positive and upbeat,” Fuller said. “There has been a huge outpouring of people, both who know him and/or know Danae and people who even don’t necessarily know them personally but have worked with them.”
Gordon thinks there are more problematic issues than Shin.
“There are actual problems here in this country that need to be solved. John and people like him are not one of them, that’s for sure,” he said. “They add to our country, and they add to our society and they should stay.”
The Key Takeaways for this article were generated with the assistance of large language models and reviewed by our editorial team. The article, itself, is solely human-written.
Top Stories
LSU vs. Clemson live updates: Tigers battle as top draft prospects Garrett Nussmeier, Cade Klubnik headline

A top-10 showdown in Death Valley (East) could be the best of a terrific Week 1 college football slate to open the 2025 season.No. 9 LSU at No. 4 Clemson has more than enough storylines to keep you interested.
In Clemson quarterback Cade Klubnik vs. LSU quarterback Garrett Nussmeier, you have two of the most popular options to be taken No. 1 overall in next year’s NFL Draft. It’s why multiple NFL general managers are expected to be inside Memorial Stadium on Saturday. But, it doesn’t stop there.
It’s “DLU” (Clemson’s Peter Woods, T.J. Parker) vs. what could be LSU’s reemergence as “DBU” after an aggressive offseason talent overhaul. It’s star receivers (LSU’s Nic Anderson and Barion Brown) vs. star receivers (Clemson’s Antonio Williams, Bryant Wesco Jr.) It’s Dabo Swinney vs. Brian Kelly. Tigers vs. Tigers.
A win puts the victor on the fast track to making the College Football Playoff. A loss makes the path that much more treacherous, especially for LSU and a slate that still includes six preseason top 25 SEC teams.
Keep it locked here as CBS Sports provides you with live updates, highlights and analysis as LSU battles Clemson to open the 2025 season in Week 1.
Top Stories
Jelena Ostapenko clears up comments after Taylor Townsend flap

Jelena Ostapenko finally offered an apology for her U.S. Open altercation with Taylor Townsend, three days after the fact and on social media.
As Townsend moves on in Flushing Meadows — winning again in doubles on Saturday and slated for singles Round of 16 on Sunday — the beaten Ostapenko sought to move on from the fervor she caused by her on-court tantrum following a 7-5, 6-1 loss, when she told the victorious American that she had “no education.”
Townsend, who is black, added in an on-court interview that Ostapenko had accused her of having “no class” as well. Numerous players came to Townsend’s defense in the ensuing days, including Naomi Osaka and Coco Gauff.
On Saturday, Ostapenko belatedly took to social media “to apologize for some of the things” she said. While Ostapenko wasn’t specific and didn’t mention Townsend, she did offer up the language barrier as an alibi.
“English is not my native language, so when I said education, I was speaking only about what I believe as tennis etiquette, but I understand how the words I used could have offended many people beyond the tennis court,” Ostapenko wrote. “I appreciate the support as I continue to learn and grow as a person and a tennis player. Goodbye New York and I look forward to being back next year.”
Townsend has tried to take the high road.
“That has been a stigma in our community of being not educated and all of the things when it’s the furthest thing from the truth,” Townsend said.
Meanwhile, the 29-year-old Townsend continued to roll along in Flushing Meadows.
She’s slated to play Barbora Krejcikova in the Round of 16 on Sunday, and teamed with Katerina Siniakova for a second-round 6-3, 6-3 doubles win over Alycia Parks and Dayana Yastremska on Court 12 on Saturday.
They’ve risen to the top-ranked doubles team after winning Wimbledon last year and this year’s Australian Open. Now they’re into the third round.
Venus Williams, at the age of 45, teamed with Leylah Fernandez for a 7-6, 6-1 doubles win over Ulrikke Eikeri and Erl Hozuml, completed with her signature twirl at the end.
The first week of the U.S. Open has been dramatic, between blowups by Daniil Medvedev and Ostapenko and Stefanos Tsitsipas. But some players suggested it may be the city bringing out the drama.
“We’re in New York, and the fans here — I love them — but they can definitely … you’re on the wrong side of things, can … they’re into the match. They’re passionate tennis fans. They know what’s going on,” Gauff said. “And they’re used to other events, major events, happening in the city that aren’t tennis.”
Jess Pegula, from upstate New York, agreed the city may be playing a role.
“I don’t know. It’s just New York City tends to bring out just a lot of drama, I guess,” Pegula laughed. “I feel like the crowds, they’re pretty crazy. They kind of get everyone riled up. Like you said, everyone is tense.”
-
Tools & Platforms3 weeks ago
Building Trust in Military AI Starts with Opening the Black Box – War on the Rocks
-
Ethics & Policy1 month ago
SDAIA Supports Saudi Arabia’s Leadership in Shaping Global AI Ethics, Policy, and Research – وكالة الأنباء السعودية
-
Events & Conferences3 months ago
Journey to 1000 models: Scaling Instagram’s recommendation system
-
Jobs & Careers2 months ago
Mumbai-based Perplexity Alternative Has 60k+ Users Without Funding
-
Business1 day ago
The Guardian view on Trump and the Fed: independence is no substitute for accountability | Editorial
-
Funding & Business2 months ago
Kayak and Expedia race to build AI travel agents that turn social posts into itineraries
-
Education2 months ago
VEX Robotics launches AI-powered classroom robotics system
-
Podcasts & Talks2 months ago
Happy 4th of July! 🎆 Made with Veo 3 in Gemini
-
Podcasts & Talks2 months ago
OpenAI 🤝 @teamganassi
-
Jobs & Careers2 months ago
Astrophel Aerospace Raises ₹6.84 Crore to Build Reusable Launch Vehicle