Connect with us

Top Stories

Trump administration faces rare bipartisan pushback for firing CDC director | Trump administration

Published

on


The Trump administration is facing rare bipartisan pushback for firing the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), amid turmoil at the US’ top infectious disease agency that prompted dozens of staff to walk out of its headquarters in protest on Thursday.

The White House has said Susan Monarez, who was confirmed as director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention just a month ago, was fired as she was “not aligned with the president’s agenda” – only for Monarez to refuse to depart. The official’s lawyers have said that, as a Senate-confirmed appointee, only Donald Trump himself can remove her.

Monarez was reportedly fired by Robert F Kennedy Jr, the US health secretary, for refusing to remove agency officials and committing to restricting proven vaccines.

Kennedy, who previously founded an anti-vaccine group, has long spread misinformation about immunizations and this week placed new restrictions on who can get Covid vaccines.

This stance, along with concerns about budget cuts and political interference to the work of the CDC, prompted the resignation of four top agency leaders. On Thursday, dozens of CDC staff walked out of their Atlanta headquarters in support of Monarez and the other departed leaders.

The extraordinary turmoil at the CDC has provoked bipartisan alarm in Congress, earning the Trump administration a rare rebuke from normally slavishly loyal Republicans.

“She’s been on the job for only three weeks and I am very concerned and alarmed by this removal,” Susan Collins, the Republican senator from Maine, said of Monarez. Collins said there was “no basis” to remove the CDC director.

Bill Cassidy, another Republican senator who chairs the senate health committee, said that an upcoming meeting of the Department of Health and Human Services committee that advises on vaccine use should be postponed due to the attacks upon the CDC.

“If the meeting proceeds, any recommendations made should be rejected as lacking legitimacy given the seriousness of the allegations and the current turmoil in CDC leadership,” Cassidy said, adding that “serious allegations” have been made about the lack of scientific process in vaccine recommendations.

Bernie Sanders, the independent senator, said that people of all political persuasions should be alarmed by the attempt to restrict access to vaccines, which he called “one of the greatest public health achievements of the 20th century”.

“We are witnessing a full-blown war on science, on public health, and on truth itself,” Sanders said. “In just six months, Secretary Kennedy has dismantled the vaccine review process, narrowed access to life-saving Covid vaccines and filled scientific advisory boards with conspiracy theorists and ideologues.”

The Trump administration shows no sign of backing down, however. In a press briefing on Thursday, Karoline Leavitt, the White House press secretary, criticized one of the departing CDC officials for using the term “pregnant people” in his resignation letter.

“I understand there were a few other individuals who resigned after the firing of Ms Monarez,” she said. “One of those individuals wrote in his departure statement that he identifies pregnant women as pregnant people, so that’s not someone we want in this administration anyway.”

The official, Demetre Daskalakis, resigned from his position as director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases at the CDC on Wednesday, accusing the administration of using the agency to “generate policies and materials that do not reflect scientific reality and are designed to hurt rather than to improve the public’s health”.

Daskalakis responded to Leavitt’s remarks in an interview on CNN. “I find it outrageous that this administration is trying to erase transgender people,” he said.

“I very specifically used the term pregnant people, and very specifically added my pronouns at the end of my resignation letter to make the point that I am defying this terrible strategy at trying to erase people and not allowing them to express their identities.

“So I accept the note from the press secretary and I counter that with: I don’t care.”



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top Stories

LSU vs. Clemson live updates: Tigers battle as top draft prospects Garrett Nussmeier, Cade Klubnik headline

Published

on


A top-10 showdown in Death Valley (East) could be the best of a terrific Week 1 college football slate to open the 2025 season.No. 9 LSU at No. 4 Clemson has more than enough storylines to keep you interested. 

In Clemson quarterback Cade Klubnik vs. LSU quarterback Garrett Nussmeier, you have two of the most popular options to be taken No. 1 overall in next year’s NFL Draft. It’s why multiple NFL general managers are expected to be inside Memorial Stadium on Saturday. But, it doesn’t stop there.

It’s “DLU” (Clemson’s Peter Woods, T.J. Parker) vs. what could be LSU’s reemergence as “DBU” after an aggressive offseason talent overhaul. It’s star receivers (LSU’s Nic Anderson and Barion Brown) vs. star receivers (Clemson’s Antonio Williams, Bryant Wesco Jr.) It’s Dabo Swinney vs. Brian Kelly. Tigers vs. Tigers.

A win puts the victor on the fast track to making the College Football Playoff. A loss makes the path that much more treacherous, especially for LSU and a slate that still includes six preseason top 25 SEC teams.

Keep it locked here as CBS Sports provides you with live updates, highlights and analysis as LSU battles Clemson to open the 2025 season in Week 1. 





Source link

Continue Reading

Top Stories

Jelena Ostapenko clears up comments after Taylor Townsend flap

Published

on

By


Jelena Ostapenko finally offered an apology for her U.S. Open altercation with Taylor Townsend, three days after the fact and on social media. 

As Townsend moves on in Flushing Meadows — winning again in doubles on Saturday and slated for singles Round of 16 on Sunday — the beaten Ostapenko sought to move on from the fervor she caused by her on-court tantrum following a 7-5, 6-1 loss, when she told the victorious American that she had “no education.” 

Townsend, who is black, added in an on-court interview that Ostapenko had accused her of having “no class” as well. Numerous players came to Townsend’s defense in the ensuing days, including Naomi Osaka and Coco Gauff. 

On Saturday, Ostapenko belatedly took to social media “to apologize for some of the things” she said. While Ostapenko wasn’t specific and didn’t mention Townsend, she did offer up the language barrier as an alibi. 

Jelena Ostapenko told American Taylor Townsend she has “no education.” Getty Images

“English is not my native language, so when I said education, I was speaking only about what I believe as tennis etiquette, but I understand how the words I used could have offended many people beyond the tennis court,” Ostapenko wrote. “I appreciate the support as I continue to learn and grow as a person and a tennis player. Goodbye New York and I look forward to being back next year.” 

Townsend has tried to take the high road. 

“That has been a stigma in our community of being not educated and all of the things when it’s the furthest thing from the truth,” Townsend said. 

Jelena Ostapenko and Taylor Townsend are pictured following their Aug. 27 match. Getty Images

Meanwhile, the 29-year-old Townsend continued to roll along in Flushing Meadows. 

She’s slated to play Barbora Krejcikova in the Round of 16 on Sunday, and teamed with Katerina Siniakova for a second-round 6-3, 6-3 doubles win over Alycia Parks and Dayana Yastremska on Court 12 on Saturday. 

They’ve risen to the top-ranked doubles team after winning Wimbledon last year and this year’s Australian Open. Now they’re into the third round. 


Venus Williams, at the age of 45, teamed with Leylah Fernandez for a 7-6, 6-1 doubles win over Ulrikke Eikeri and Erl Hozuml, completed with her signature twirl at the end. 


The first week of the U.S. Open has been dramatic, between blowups by Daniil Medvedev and Ostapenko and Stefanos Tsitsipas. But some players suggested it may be the city bringing out the drama. 

Daniil Medvedev breaks his racket after losing in five sets to Benjamin Bonzi of France during their Men’s Singles First Round match on Day One of the 2025 US Open at USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center on August 24, 2025. Getty Images

“We’re in New York, and the fans here — I love them — but they can definitely … you’re on the wrong side of things, can … they’re into the match. They’re passionate tennis fans. They know what’s going on,” Gauff said. “And they’re used to other events, major events, happening in the city that aren’t tennis.” 

Jess Pegula, from upstate New York, agreed the city may be playing a role. 

“I don’t know. It’s just New York City tends to bring out just a lot of drama, I guess,” Pegula laughed. “I feel like the crowds, they’re pretty crazy. They kind of get everyone riled up. Like you said, everyone is tense.”





Source link

Continue Reading

Top Stories

Devon Walker Says Leaving ‘SNL’ Was A Mutual Decision

Published

on


While Devon Walker indicated earlier this week that Saturday Night Live fans are perhaps taking his and his fellow cast members’ departures harder than the actors themselves, the former repertory player revealed today the decision to leave was a mutual one.

“The big question,” Walker began when asked by Rolling Stone in a new interview if his exit was by choice. “To be frank, I guess the best way I put it is like me and the show kind of looked at each other and we decided together that it was time to go our separate ways. I think I felt ready to leave the show, and I think the show felt ready to leave me.”

He continued, “I was just ready to do something else. We both felt like it was time. This was such a big time commitment, and life commitment. There’s been a lot of life stuff that I feel like I’ve had to miss out on. And I felt ready to do a different version of my life. I think that me and the show are both ready to turn the page.”

Elsewhere in the interview, Walker indicated he is currently exploring deals related to his music-themed comedy podcast My Favorite Lyrics and hopes to foray into dramatic television.

Walker was the first SNL member to announce his departure ahead of Season 51 of the Lorne Michaels-led late-night sketch series, which returns Oct. 4. The actor, who joined in 2022 as a featured player and was promoted last season ahead of the show’s 50th anniversary, has impersonated the likes of Frank Ocean, Michael Strahan, Shannon Sharpe, Draymond Green and Eric Adams throughout his tenure.

“Me and the show did three years together, and sometimes it was really cool,” he wrote on Instagram Monday. “Sometimes it was toxic as hell. But we did what we made the most of what it was, even amidst all of the dysfunction. We made a f—ed up lil family.”

Just days later, Emil Wakim, Michael Longfellow and Heidi Gardner would also join Walker in exiting. As Michaels cleaned house, alumna Punkie Johnson commented: “WTF is happening.”

Following an outpouring of fan support (and ire toward Michaels), Walker took to X in hopes of assuaging viewers’ intense reactions: “Yall acting like we died lol we just getting different jobs,” Walker said.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending