Connect with us

Top Stories

Supreme Court clears the way for Trump’s federal workforce cuts

Published

on


WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court on Tuesday cleared the way for President Donald Trump’s plans to downsize the federal workforce despite warnings that critical government services will be lost and hundreds of thousands of federal employees will be out of their jobs.

The justices overrode lower court orders that temporarily froze the cuts, which have been led by the Department of Government Efficiency.

The court said in an unsigned order that no specific cuts were in front of the justices, only an executive order issued by Trump and an administration directive for agencies to undertake job reductions.

Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson was the only dissenting vote, accusing her colleagues of a “demonstrated enthusiasm for greenlighting this President’s legally dubious actions in an emergency posture.”

Jackson warned of enormous real-world consequences. “This executive action promises mass employee terminations, widespread cancellation of federal programs and services, and the dismantling of much of the Federal Government as Congress has created it,” she wrote.

The high court action continued a remarkable winning streak for Trump, who the justices have allowed to move forward with significant parts of his plan to remake the federal government. The Supreme Court’s intervention so far has been on the frequent emergency appeals the Justice Department has filed objecting to lower-court rulings as improperly intruding on presidential authority.

The Republican president has repeatedly said voters gave him a mandate for the work, and he tapped billionaire ally Elon Musk to lead the charge through DOGE. Musk recently left his role.

“Today’s U.S. Supreme Court ruling is another definitive victory for the President and his administration. It clearly rebukes the continued assaults on the President’s constitutionally authorized executive powers by leftist judges who are trying to prevent the President from achieving government efficiency across the federal government,” White House spokesperson Harrison Fields said in a statement.

Tens of thousands of federal workers have been fired, have left their jobs via deferred resignation programs or have been placed on leave. There is no official figure for the job cuts, but at least 75,000 federal employees took deferred resignation and thousands of probationary workers have already been let go.

In May, U.S. District Judge Susan Illston found that Trump’s administration needs congressional approval to make sizable reductions to the federal workforce. By a 2-1 vote, a panel of the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals refused to block Illston’s order, finding that the downsizing could have broader effects, including on the nation’s food-safety system and health care for veterans.

Illston directed numerous federal agencies to halt acting on the president’s workforce executive order signed in February and a subsequent memo issued by DOGE and the Office of Personnel Management. Illston was nominated by former Democratic President Bill Clinton.

The labor unions and nonprofit groups that sued over the downsizing offered the justices several examples of what would happen if it were allowed to take effect, including cuts of 40% to 50% at several agencies. Baltimore, Chicago and San Francisco were among cities that also sued.

“Today’s decision has dealt a serious blow to our democracy and puts services that the American people rely on in grave jeopardy. This decision does not change the simple and clear fact that reorganizing government functions and laying off federal workers en masse haphazardly without any congressional approval is not allowed by our Constitution,” the parties that sued said in a joint statement.

Among the agencies affected by the order are the departments of Agriculture, Energy, Labor, the Interior, State, the Treasury and Veterans Affairs. It also applies to the National Science Foundation, Small Business Association, Social Security Administration and Environmental Protection Agency.

The case now continues in Illston’s court.





Source link

Top Stories

The best Labor Day sales our editors found at Amazon, Walmart and more — save up to 75%

Published

on


A cozy Earth sounds nice, but we’ll settle for a cozy bed — and these soft, silky, cooling linens deliver. This set has wowed everyone from Yahoo staffers and thousands of online shoppers to — wait for it — Oprah herself. Senior Style Writer Rebecca Carhart, who searched high and low to find the best cooling sheets, awarded this set the title of “Best Bamboo Cooling Sheets,” saying they’re “designed to get softer with every wash. The breathable and moisture-wicking fabric feels a few degrees cooler than cotton blend options and is produced using enhanced weaving techniques to prevent pilling.”

Initiatives Writer Ellie Conley is also a fan. In her review, she writes, “Slipping into bed with Cozy Earth’s sheets feels almost like jumping into a pool on a hot summer day.”

And what does Oprah have to say about the sheets she made famous? When they appeared on her Favorite Things 2018 list, she said, “Your bed shouldn’t be where you sweat the small (or big) stuff,” and called the set “the softest ever,” saying it “may help regulate body temperature, meaning both chilly sleepers and hot-flashers can get a good night’s rest.” Sign us up!

Yes, they’re an investment, but you can save an impressive 35% with Yahoo’s exclusive discount (enter code YAHOO at checkout). You’re welcome!

Save $115 | Yahoo exclusive deal



Source link

Continue Reading

Top Stories

Former Cowboys coach Jason Garrett was “shocked” by Micah Parsons trade

Published

on


Current Cowboys coach Brian Schottenheimer will never (at least while he still has that job) share his true thoughts on the decision to trade linebacker Micah Parsons to the Packers. Former Cowboys coach Jason Garrett had no qualms about sharing his unvarnished reaction to Thursday’s stunning move.

“I was shocked,” Garrett said on Friday’s PFT Live. “You know, the most important player on a football team is the quarterback. The second most important player on a football team is the guy who can negatively affect the quarterback. And those guys are hard to come by, and ever since that guy has come into the league, he has been a dominant player.

“And you and I have talked about this a lot, Mike — he’s transformative. He changes the whole team. If you think about the Cowboys in 2020, they were 6-10, they weren’t a very good team, and then he gets there along with defensive coordinator Dan Quinn, and all of a sudden, they’re a different team. And if you look at all those interceptions that their DBs were making, [DaRon] Bland and [Trevon] Diggs and you’re intercepting them and running back for touchdowns . . . look what’s going on around the quarterback on those throws.

“Micah Parsons is the guy causing all the problems, and those guys are hard to come by. If you think about, you know, four years, 52 sacks, he and Reggie White, being used in the same sentences. He’s an impactful player, and I was shocked that they let him out of the building.”

If you’ve watched the excellent Netflix docuseries on the Cowboys of the 1990s, it’s clear that the arrival of pass rusher Charles Haley changed everything. And, before Micah arrived, the Cowboys had been trying to find another Charles Haley.

They finally got one. They decided not to pay him. They decided to try to kick the can of his fifth-year option. They stepped on a rake instead, alienating the player and setting up a “hurt back” stare down that resulted in the Cowboys declaring victory and retreating.

The defense will retreat without him. The team will have a harder time succeeding. And the Packers will be the beneficiaries of that.





Source link

Continue Reading

Top Stories

‘Frankenstein’ Director Guillermo del Toro Talks Monsters, AI and Netflix

Published

on


Guillermo del Toro’s adaptation of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, a centuries old Gothic novel penned in 1818, generated a wide variety of hard-hitting questions at today’s Venice Film Festival press conference as the filmmaker was asked about artificial intelligence, Netflix’s strategy of theatrical releases and the real monsters in present day society.

The veteran filmmaker fielded a much softer one to start the afternoon session on Saturday as he was asked why he’s been obsessed with making a Frankenstein film ever since he was 7 years old.

“Honestly, it’s sort of a dream that was more than that, it was a religion for me since I was a kid. I was raised very Catholic, and I never quite understood the saints. Then when I saw Boris Karloff on the screen, I understood what a saint or a messiah looked like,” del Toro explained during the press conference at which he was joined by his cast including Oscar Isaac, Jacob Elordi, Mia Goth, Christoph Waltz, Felix Kammerer and composer Alexandre Desplat. “I always waited for the movie to be done in the right conditions, both creatively in terms of achieving the scope that that it needed for me to make it different, and to make it at a scale that you could reconstruct the whole world. Now I’m in postpartum depression.”

Del Toro directed from his own screenplay, and the story centers on Victor Frankenstein, played by Isaac, a brilliant but egotistical scientist who brings a creature (Elordi) to life in a monstrous experiment that ultimately leads to the undoing of both the creator and his tragic creation.

Getting the lead role proved to be a dream come true for Isaac.

“I can’t believe that I’m here right now. I can’t believe we got to this place from two years ago, sitting at [Guillermo’s] table eating Cuban pork and and talking about our fathers and our lives, to him saying, ‘I want you to be Victor, then not really being sure if it was true or if I was just dreaming. It just seemed like such a pinnacle,” he explained. “For Guillermo to then say, ‘I’m creating this banquet for you, you just have to show up and eat,’ that was the truth. It felt like a fusion. I just hooked myself into Guillermo, and we flung ourselves down the well.”

Frankenstein premieres tonight, Aug. 30, inside Sala Grande followed by a limited theatrical release on Oct. 17, and a global bow by Netflix on Nov. 7. A journalist asked del Toro if there’s an agreement in place with Netflix regarding how many films it will be released in and whether or not he’s happy with the arrangement.

“I mean, look at my size. I always want more of everything,” del Toro quipped before focusing on the debate of theatrical versus streaming. “To me, the battle we are going to fight in telling stories is in two fronts. Obviously there’s the size of the screen, but the size of the ideas is very important. The size of the ambition, the size of the artistic hunger that you bring to cinema is a matter of can we reclaim scale and we reclaim scale of ideas? Can we challenge ourselves to that? It’s a dialog, and it’s a very fluid dialog.”

That said, the filmmaker, who is a regular collaborator of Netflix, said he is happy to take the streamer’s reach of more than 300 million viewers worldwide. “You take the opportunity and the challenge to make a movie that can transform itself variably, beautifully, and that evokes that cinema, and then you provide theaters for that on the beginning, and that makes, for me, a very creative experience.”

Isaac, del Toro behind-the-scenes on Frankenstein.

Netflix

On the subject of how the movie’s monstrous themes reflect the current times, del Toro confirmed that “we live in a time of terror and intimidation, certainly,” but the counter to that “is love.” And the counter to artificial intelligence is intelligence.

“I’m not afraid of AI,” del Toro said flatly. “I’m afraid of natural stupidity, which is much more abundant.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending