Former Vice President Kamala Harris will receive protection from the California Highway Patrol, after her Secret Service detail was revoked by President Donald Trump.
Law enforcement sources told the LA Times that officials in The Golden State have stepped up to offer their services to Harris when her extended Secret Service protection comes to an end.
Trump signed an order on Thursday which retracted the protection Harris was offered from Monday onwards.
The offer came after discussions between the offices of California Governor Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass about how to best handle the situation, the outlet reported.
Vice Presidents are usually entitled to six months of protection after leaving office, while presidents are afforded protection for the rest of their lives.
But one of Biden’s final actions was to extend her protection through to July 2026. The move came after a request from Harris’ aides.
Typically when the six-month protection expires, former vice presidents – including Mike Pence and Joe Biden – have paid for their own private security.
Other than Harris, the only other former vice president to receive protection beyond the six-months was Dick Cheney after requesting approval from then-President Barack Obama in 2009.
Former Vice President Kamala Harris will receive protection from Highway Patrol in California after her Secret Service detail was revoked by President Donald Trump

Trump signed an order on Thursday which retracted the protection Harris was offered from Monday onwards
Governor Gavin Newsom’s office told the publication: ‘Our office does not comment on security arrangements.
‘The safety of our public officials should never be subject to erratic, vindictive political impulses.’
Newsom would be required to sign off on any such arrangement with Highway Patrol.
Harris will not only lose 24/7 in-person Secret Service protection from federal agents, but she will also no longer have threat detection intelligence.
Mayor Karen Bass slammed Trump’s decision, stating: ‘This is another act of revenge following a long list of political retaliation in the form of firings, the revoking of security clearances and more.
‘This puts the former Vice President in danger and I look forward to working with the governor to make sure Vice President Harris is safe in Los Angeles.’
Other than Harris, the only other former vice president to receive protection beyond the six-months was Dick Cheney after requesting approval from then-President Barack Obama in 2009.

One of Biden’s final actions was to extend her protection through to July 2026. The move came after a request from Harris’ aides

Trump canceled a previously undisclosed directive from President Joe Biden that granted Harris Secret Service protection for an additional year
Trump’s sudden removal of his 2024 rival’s protection will have immediate ramifications as Harris prepares to launch a nationwide book tour next month for her upcoming memoir ‘107 days.’
The book reportedly focuses on her failed short-lived 107 day presidential campaign following Biden’s departure from the race.
Harris’ tours stops will mostly take place in deep-blue cities, and will start off on September 24th in New York City, the day after her book is released.
Former presidents and White House officials often face security threats from around the world.
Trump famously survived two assassination attempts during the 2024 presidential election.