Top Stories
Minneapolis Catholic school shooting leaves 2 children dead, 17 people injured

Two young children were killed and 17 others were injured in a shooting during a Catholic Mass packed with young students in south Minneapolis Wednesday morning. The shooter is also dead.
Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara said the shooting triggered a massive law enforcement response to Annunciation Catholic Church at West 54th Street between Harriet and Garfield avenues around 8:30 a.m. The church is connected to a school building.
The shooter approached from the outside of the building and fired a rifle through the church windows towards children and worshippers. The shooter also used a shotgun and a pistol that they had legally purchased “recently,” O’Hara said.
An 8-year-old and a 10-year-old were killed while they sat in the pews. Of the 17 others injured, 14 are children between the ages of 6 and 15. The three adults were parishoners in their 80s.
At least seven victims were in critical condition when they arrived at a nearby hospital. O’Hara said Wednesday afternoon that everyone who was injured is expected to survive.
Law enforcement sources tell CBS News the shooter was Robin Westman, age 23, from suburban Minneapolis. Westman’s mother previously worked at Annunciation and is now retired.
O’Hara said law enforcement are in the process of executing four search warrants. One was issued for the church itself and three are connected to residences in the metro area that police believe are tied to the shooting.
He also added that law enforcement is aware of videos that the shooter timed to publish on YouTube Wednesday morning. The content has since been taken down and is under review, according to O’Hara.
O’Hara said the shooter has no extensive criminal history and ultimately died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at the back of the church.
When asked if authorities are investigating the shooting as a hate crime, O’Hara clarified that officials are not yet aware of any specific motive.
Stephen Maturen / Getty Images
The Mass marked the beginning of the school year at Annunciation Catholic School.
“I’m so sorry this happened to us today. Within seconds of this situation beginning, our teachers were heroes. Children were ducked down. Adults were protecting children. Older children were protecting younger children,” said Annunciation Catholic School Principal Matt DeBoer. “It could have been significantly worse without their heroic action. This is a nightmare but we call our staff the dream team and we will recover from this.”
Authorities added that the public is advised to stay away from the area of West 54th Street between Lyndale and Nicollet avenues. Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey added that authorities are setting up a family resource center.
“This was a deliberate act of violence against innocent children and other people worshipping,” said O’Hara.
“Don’t just say this is about thoughts and prayers right now. These kids were literally praying,” said Frey. “It was the first week of school, they were in a church. These were kids that should be learning with their friends. They should be playing on the playground. They should be able to go to school or church in peace without the fear or risk of violence and their parents should have the same kind of assurance.”
Archbishop Bernard Hebda said all are invited for a prayer service on Wednesday evening at 7 p.m. at the Academy of Holy Angels in Richfield.
WCCO
“What happened today will not be gone. Minnesotans will not step away. We’ll stand with this community. We’ll redouble ourselves to do the best we can to understand what we can do to prevent any parents from having to receive the calls they received today,” said Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz.
President Trump wrote on Truth Social that he has been “fully briefed on the tragic shooting in Minneapolis, Minnesota.”
“The FBI quickly responded and they are on the scene. The White House will continue to monitor this terrible situation. Please join me in praying for everyone involved,” he said.
M Health Fairview said one child had been admitted to its Masonic Children’s Hospital and is in stable condition. Children’s Hospital had seven patients between the ages of 9 and 16, one of whom has already been discharged.
Hennepin Healthcare, a nearby Level 1 Trauma Center, received 11 patients from the shooting, according to Chair of Emergency Medicine Tom Wyatt. Nine of them were children and two were adults. Six children and one adult were in critical condition, and four required an operating room. All of those patients are still alive, Wyatt said.
“We’ve had two mass casualty events happen in the last 24 hours. That does take a toll,” Wyatt said. “But we also have to recognize that we are here as a critical resource for our community and we have to take time to process the care that we deliver in these situations and we have to be able to move forward because we are obviously needed.”
Tuesday afternoon, about 4 miles from Annunciation, one person was killed and six others were injured in another mass shooting. O’Hara said the two shootings do not appear to be related.
TOM BAKER/AFP via Getty Images
This is a developing story and will be updated.
contributed to this report.
Top Stories
Source – Cowboys, DaRon Bland reach 4-year, $92M extension

The Dallas Cowboys and cornerback DaRon Bland have agreed to a four-year extension worth $92 million, a source told ESPN.
The Cowboys were in discussions with Bland before the Micah Parsons trade, the source told ESPN.
Bland, 26, was named a first-team All-Pro in 2023 when he led the NFL with nine interceptions and set an NFL record for most returns for a touchdown in a season with five.
He has 14 interceptions in three seasons with the Cowboys since they selected him in the fifth round of the 2022 draft.
He is the second member of the Cowboys’ 2022 draft class to receive an extension this year, joining tight end Jake Ferguson, who signed a four-year, $52 million deal in July.
Top Stories
Father Mother Sister Brother review – Blanchett and Rampling pick at family guilt in Jarmusch’s delectable triptych | Venice film festival

Jim Jarmusch has made anthology films before: Mystery Train (1989), Night on Earth (1991), Coffee and Cigarettes (2003). In fact, he could claim to be the pre-eminent specialist in this now very unfashionable movie form. But with his new one, a deeply pleasing and gently quietist triptych on the subject of family, he is giving us something new and personal.
It’s the sense of mortality and the gathering cloud of darkness over our heads as we enter middle age, a perpetual nagging worry about the health and happiness of our elderly parents, with the guilt and sadness of not going to see them, or seeing them only rarely, and the related feeling of closeness – or perhaps the opposite – with your siblings for whom these parents are the number one topic of conversation. Then there’s the feeling of relief mixed with dissatisfaction and unease on the long car journey home.
The movie is divided into three (apparently) unrelated panels of drama, events taking place in parallel in three different parts of the world: rural US, Dublin and Paris, and with images and gestures that fortuitously echo each other. In the first, Mayim Bialik and Adam Driver play siblings Emily and Jeff, making the arduous trip out into the countryside to see their ageing dad, played by Tom Waits. His place seems chaotic and on the verge of poverty, an instant source of worry to them both, and Jeff also reproaches himself with having given his dad money over the years. And yet in the course of their awkward visit, they are disconcerted to notice what appears to be a genuine Rolex on the old guy’s wrist and there is evidence that their father is slyly faking his elderly disarray for opaque reasons of his own.
Meanwhile, in Dublin, Charlotte Rampling plays a characteristically self-possessed and self-assured woman who is welcoming her two grownup daughters for their annual visit for tea. She is entirely content to make these visits a rarity. They are the trendy Tim (Vicky Krieps) with pink hair, and the more staid and uptight Lilith, played, a little stagily, by Cate Blanchett, with glasses and sensible shoes.
And finally, in Paris, siblings Skye and Billy – non-identical twins, in fact – are played by Indya Moore and Luka Sabbat; their parents have just died, apparently piloting a light aircraft in the Azores, a deadpan-jokey demise that the actors carry off with complete real-world seriousness. They pay a final visit to their late mum and dad’s Paris apartment, and chat to the housekeeper, played by iconic French veteran Françoise Lebrun. And they make a trip out to a storage depot and gaze at their parents’ belongings, crammed into a lockup. This was the material of their parents’ lives, and Skye and Billy have already wonderingly gone through old photos and marriage and birth certificates. It all seems like evidence of something. But what?
The movie returns us to an age-old question: who are or were our parents? Did they have real existences before we were born that we will never understand? And are our own existences destined to be effaced and rendered irrelevant or taboo by our own children? For me, the first and third sections are the most naturalistically convincing as portraits of real life, the second is more theatrical, although the weird, slyly comic echoes of each other in each of the sections undermine or at least complicate this reality effect. You might sit through this film waiting for a crisis or a confrontation: some explosion of temper or passionate demand for honesty. None will arrive. Basically, there is a contentment and calm here, an acceptance and a Zen simplicity that is a cleansing of the moviegoing palate, or perhaps the fiction-consuming palate in general. It is a film to savour.
Top Stories
Federal judge blocks US from deporting unaccompanied children to Guatemala | US immigration

A federal judge on Sunday issued a restraining order blocking the Trump administration from deporting 10 unaccompanied Guatemalan children back to their home country after lawyers said the removals would violate US laws.
The Washington DC-based district judge Sparkle Sooknanan ordered the administration to refrain from deporting the children for 14 days and called for a hearing at 12.30pm. The National Immigration Law Center, a pro-immigration advocacy group, brought the challenge on behalf of the children, who are ages 10-17.
Donald Trump’s administration struck an agreement with Guatemala that would allow the removal of unaccompanied children back to the country and planned to start deportations this weekend, one current and two former US officials told Reuters. The plans were first reported by CNN on Friday.
Trump, a Republican, kicked off a wide-ranging immigration crackdown after returning to the White House in January.
Children who arrive at US borders without a parent or guardian are classified as unaccompanied and sent to federal government-run shelters until they can be placed with a family member or foster home, a process outlined in federal law.
Melissa Johnston, director of the Office of Refugee Resettlement’s program for unaccompanied children, sent an email to staff on Thursday calling for a halt to the release of all Guatemalan children except for those sponsored by parents or legal guardians in the US, according to a copy reviewed by Reuters and one of the former officials.
In a legal complaint filed on Sunday, the National Immigration Law Center and Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights said the deportations would be a “clear violation of the unambiguous protections that Congress has provided them as vulnerable children”.
“Defendants are imminently planning to illegally transfer Plaintiffs to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody to put them on flights to Guatemala, where they may face abuse, neglect, persecution, or even torture, against their best interests,” the complaint read.
The US Department of Homeland Security, Ice’s parent agency, did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Guatemala’s foreign ministry declined to comment.
Sooknanan was appointed by President Joe Biden, a Democrat.
-
Tools & Platforms3 weeks ago
Building Trust in Military AI Starts with Opening the Black Box – War on the Rocks
-
Business2 days ago
The Guardian view on Trump and the Fed: independence is no substitute for accountability | Editorial
-
Ethics & Policy1 month ago
SDAIA Supports Saudi Arabia’s Leadership in Shaping Global AI Ethics, Policy, and Research – وكالة الأنباء السعودية
-
Events & Conferences3 months ago
Journey to 1000 models: Scaling Instagram’s recommendation system
-
Jobs & Careers2 months ago
Mumbai-based Perplexity Alternative Has 60k+ Users Without Funding
-
Funding & Business2 months ago
Kayak and Expedia race to build AI travel agents that turn social posts into itineraries
-
Education2 months ago
VEX Robotics launches AI-powered classroom robotics system
-
Podcasts & Talks2 months ago
Happy 4th of July! 🎆 Made with Veo 3 in Gemini
-
Podcasts & Talks2 months ago
OpenAI 🤝 @teamganassi
-
Mergers & Acquisitions2 months ago
Donald Trump suggests US government review subsidies to Elon Musk’s companies