Connect with us

Top Stories

Fed minutes August 2025

Published

on


Federal Reserve officials worried at their July meeting about the state of the labor market and inflation, though most agreed that it was too soon to lower interest rates, minutes released Wednesday showed.
 
The meeting summary depicted a divergence of opinion among the central bankers, whose vote to hold their key rate steady came despite objections from two Fed governors who argued in favor of cutting.

Policymakers noted rising threats to the economy that would warrant monitoring, though they largely agreed that their current stance was the appropriate way to go.

“Participants generally pointed to risks to both sides of the Committee’s dual mandate, emphasizing upside risk to inflation and downside risk to employment,” the minutes noted. While “a majority of participants judged the upside risk to inflation as the greater of these two risks” a couple saw “downside risk to employment the more salient risk.”

Governors Christopher Waller and Michelle Bowman voted against the decision to hold rates steady, preferring instead that the Federal Open Market Committee start lowering its key rate. The fed funds rate, which sets what banks charge each other for overnight lending but is used as a benchmark for other consumer rates, has been targeted between 4.25%-4.5% since December.

This was the first time that multiple governors voted against a rate decision in more than 30 years.

President Donald Trump‘s tariffs were a central part of the discussion.

“Regarding upside risks to inflation, participants pointed to the uncertain effects of tariffs and the possibility of inflation expectations becoming unanchored,” the minutes said. The document also noted “considerable uncertainty remained about the timing, magnitude, and persistence of the effects of this year’s increase in tariffs.”

Coming against an increasingly heated political backdrop, the meeting saw officials express varying opinions on where they see the economy and policy headed. A staff assessment saw economic growth as “tepid” in the first half of the year though unemployment remained low.

Various participants expressed uncertainty over the impact that tariffs would have on inflation while others worried that the jobs picture was starting to show cracks and would need a policy boost to prevent further damage.

“Participants noted that the Committee might face difficult tradeoffs if elevated inflation proved to be more persistent while the outlook for the labor market weakened,” the summary said. Decisions on rates would depend on “each variable’s distance from the Committee’s goal and the potentially different time horizons over which those respective gaps would be anticipated to close.”

The meeting came just two days before a Bureau of Labor Statistics release showing that nonfarm payrolls growth had not only remained weak in July but also that June and May had seen much weaker growth than originally reported.

Even without that information in hand, Fed officials noted that “downside risk to employment had meaningfully increased with the slowing of the growth of economic activity and consumer spending, and that some incoming data pointed to a weakening of labor market conditions.”

The minutes were released two days ahead of the main event for the Fed this week: Chair Jerome Powell delivers his keynote address Friday morning during the central bank’s annual symposium at Jackson Hole, Wyoming.

Powell is expected to use the speech to indicate at least a short-term direction for the Fed regarding rates as well as a longer-term view on policy.

Trump has exerted fierce political pressure on the Fed to cut rates. The president has berated Powell as “stupid,” “a loser” and other invectives while also criticizing the board.

With the resignation earlier this month of Governor Adriana Kugler, Trump will get to appoint another of his own candidates to the seat. Powell’s term as chair expires in May 2026, though he can stay on as governor if he wishes through 2028. In the latest wrinkle, Trump has demanded the resignation of Governor Lisa Cook amid claims that she committed mortgage fraud regarding federal loans she received for properties in Georgia and Michigan.

In the case of the Powell seat, the White House has identified 11 potential candidates, including several current and past Fed officials along with economists and Wall Street strategists.

Correction: This article has been updated to correct the spelling of Adriana Kugler’s name.



Source link

Top Stories

Aid flotilla with Greta Thunberg set to sail for Gaza to ‘break illegal siege’ | Greta Thunberg

Published

on


A flotilla carrying humanitarian aid and activists, including Swedish climate campaigner Greta Thunberg, is due to leave from Barcelona on Sunday to try to “break the illegal siege of Gaza”, organisers said.

The vessels will set off from the Spanish port city to “open a humanitarian corridor and end the ongoing genocide of the Palestinian people”, said the Global Sumud Flotilla.

They did not say how many ships would set sail or the exact time of departure.

The flotilla is expected to arrive at the war-ravaged coastal enclave in mid-September.

“This will be the largest solidarity mission in history, with more people and more boats than all previous attempts combined,” Brazilian activist Thiago Ávila told journalists in Barcelona last week.

Organisers say that dozens of other vessels are expected to leave Tunisian and other Mediterranean ports on 4 September.

Activists will also stage simultaneous demonstrations and other protests in 44 countries “in solidarity with the Palestinian people”, Thunberg, who is part of the flotilla’s steering committee, wrote on Instagram.

As well as Thunberg, the flotilla will include activists from several countries, European lawmakers and public figures such as former Barcelona mayor Ada Colau.

“We understand that this is a legal mission under international law,” leftwing Portuguese lawmaker Mariana Mortágua, who will join the mission, told journalists in Lisbon last week.

Israel has already blocked two attempts by activists to deliver aid by ship to Gaza, in June and July.

In June, 12 activists on board the sailboat Madleen were intercepted by Israeli forces 185km west of Gaza. Its passengers, who included Thunberg, were detained and eventually expelled.

In July, 21 activists from 10 countries were intercepted as they tried to approach Gaza in another vessel, the Handala.



Source link

Continue Reading

Top Stories

No. 9 LSU outlasts No. 4 Clemson as Garrett Nussmeier outduels Cade Klubnik in top-10 showdown

Published

on


No. 9 LSU went on the road and shocked No. 4 Clemson 17-10 to pick up a crucial road victory and firmly cement its place in the national championship picture. The battle went down to the final minutes, but LSU coach Brian Kelly finally picked up his first season-opening victory as Tigers coach. 

Tied 10-10 at the start of the fourth quarter, LSU quarterback Garrett Nussmeier put together a legacy drive. After he was roughed on a completion to Aaron Anderson, Nussmeier ran for a third-down conversion and then found tight end Trey’Dez Green for an 8-yard touchdown to give LSU a lead it would never surrender. 

Clemson had three more chances to get back into the end zone, turning it over on downs once and going three-and-out to set up a pivotal final drive. Clemson quarterback Cade Klubnik completed a big-time pass to T.J. Moore while taking a shot to lead a drive into the red zone. Facing fourth-and-4, LSU defender Harold Perkins brought pressure and forced an incompletion to end the game. 

Playing against a phenomenal Clemson defense, Nussmeier stepped up big, completing 28 of 38 passes for 230 yards and a touchdown in the win. Anderson was his top target, catching six passes for 99 yards, including a 39-yarder. Running back Caden Durham went for 74 yards and a touchdown. Klubnik was strong, throwing for 230 yards, with four receivers hitting four catches. However, the lack of running game (20 carries for 31 yards) stood tall in the biggest moments. 

Read on below for takeaways from LSU’s season-opening win over Clemson on Saturday. 





Source link

Continue Reading

Top Stories

Powerball jackpot jumps to an estimated $1.1 billion after no winning tickets in Saturday’s drawing

Published

on


Powerball numbers drawn for Saturday’s $1 billion jackpot



Powerball numbers drawn for Saturday’s $1 billion jackpot

00:28

The Powerball jackpot has risen to an estimated $1.1 billion, the fifth-largest ever in the game’s history, after there were no winning tickets for Saturday night’s $1 billion grand prize. 

Saturday’s winning numbers were 3, 18, 22, 27 and 33, with a Powerball of 17. There were nine tickets that matched all five white balls to win $1 million, but no ticket matched all six. 

The $1.1 billion jackpot for Monday night’s drawing has an estimated cash value of $498.4 million. 

Based on the jackpot estimate, a single jackpot winner Monday would have the choice of taking a lump sum payment of $498.4 million before taxes, or going with the annuity option, which would consist of one immediate payment followed by 29 annual payments that increase by 5% each year, each payment also before taxes. 

Saturday’s drawing marked the sixth time in the game’s 33-year history that the top prize has climbed to the billion-dollar mark.

No one has won Powerball’s jackpot since May 31, when a single ticket in California won a $204.5 million jackpot with a cash value of $91.6 million. 

Four of the five previous billion-plus-jackpot-winning tickets were sold in California, including a single ticket sold in Altadena in 2022 that claimed a $2.04 billion jackpot, the largest in both Powerball and lottery history.

The next drawing, which takes place from the Florida Lottery live draw studio in Tallahassee, is on Monday at 11 p.m. ET. Tickets are $2 and are sold in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. 

contributed to this report.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending