Connect with us

Mergers & Acquisitions

European CEOs urge Brussels to halt landmark AI Act

Published

on


Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

The chief executives of large European companies including Airbus and BNP Paribas have urged Brussels to halt its landmark artificial intelligence act, as the EU considers watering down key elements of the law due to come into force in August.

In an open letter, seen by the Financial Times, the heads of 44 major firms on the continent called on European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen to introduce a two-year pause, warning that unclear and overlapping regulations are threatening the bloc’s competitiveness in the global AI race.

The letter said that the EU’s complex rules puts “Europe’s AI ambitions at risk, as it jeopardises not only the development of European champions, but also the ability of all industries to deploy AI at the scale required by global competition.” Co-signatories also included the chiefs of French retailer Carrefour and Dutch healthcare group Philips.

The EU has faced intense pressure from the US government and Big Tech as well as European groups over its AI Act, considered the world’s strictest regime regulating the development of the fast-developing technology.

The latest lobbying effort comes as Brussels held a crunch meeting with big US tech groups on Wednesday to discuss a new softened draft of its regulations.

The current debate surrounds the drafting of a “code of practice”, which will provide guidance to AI companies on how to implement the act that applies to powerful AI models such as Google’s Gemini, Meta’s Llama and OpenAI’s GPT-4. Brussels has already delayed publishing the code, which was due in May, and is now expected to water down the rules.

The EU’s tech chief Henna Virkkunen on Monday said Brussels is finalising the code of practice ahead of the August deadline. “We will publish the code of practice before that to support our industry and SMEs to comply with our AI Act”. 

Officials within the European Commission and in different European countries have been privately discussing streamlining the complicated timeline of the AI Act. While the legislation entered into force in August last year, many of its provisions only come into effect in the upcoming years. 

“This is a classic example of regulitis that doesn’t take into account the most important thing for industry, which is legal certainty”, said Patrick Van Eecke, co-chair of law firm Cooley’s global cyber, data and privacy practice.

The letter from CEOs, which was organised by the EU AI Champions Initiative — a body representing 110 companies on the continent across industries — said a postponement would send “innovators and investors around the world a strong signal that Europe is serious about its simplification and competitiveness agenda.”

European tech entrepreneurs — and the venture capitalists who back them — have also criticised the AI Act. A separate joint letter signed by more than 30 European AI start-up founders and investors this week called the legislation “a rushed ticking time bomb”.

Start-up founders are particularly worried about a lack of clarity about how general-purpose AI models will be regulated, fearing a patchwork of different rules in different member states that will be easier for deep-pocketed US Big Tech companies to navigate than smaller local businesses. 

A wide range of European businesses have expressed fears that the AI Act will make companies who use or incorporate large language models into their own IT systems responsible for the same regulatory requirements as Big Tech companies in contentious areas such as copyright liability.

Some companies also fear that uncertainty about how the rules will be implemented by the member states may deter companies from deploying AI systems, potentially putting them at a disadvantage to rivals in the US or China.

The European Commission said it is “fully committed to the main goals of the AI Act, which include establishing harmonised risk-based rules across the EU and ensuring the safety of AI systems on the European market”

But it added the bloc is working on an upcoming simplification of its digital rules, so “all options remain open for consideration at this stage.” 



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Mergers & Acquisitions

FTAV’s further reading

Published

on



AI and jobs; Oklahoma and towers; India and retailers; AI and cybercrime; Norway and elections



Source link

Continue Reading

Mergers & Acquisitions

Trump Intel deal designed to block sale of chipmaking unit, CFO says

Published

on


Unlock the White House Watch newsletter for free

The Trump administration’s investment in Intel was structured to deter the chipmaker from selling its manufacturing unit, its chief financial officer said on Thursday, locking it into a lossmaking business it has faced pressure to offload.

The US government last week agreed to take a 10 per cent stake in Intel by converting $8.9bn of federal grants under the 2022 Chips Act into equity, the latest unorthodox intervention by President Donald Trump in corporate America.

The agreement also contains a five-year warrant that allows the government to take an additional 5 per cent of Intel at $20 a share if it ceases to own 51 per cent of its foundry business — which aims to make chips for third-party clients.

“I don’t think there’s a high likelihood that we would take our stake below the 50 per cent, so ultimately I would expect [the warrant] to expire,” CFO David Zinsner told a Deutsche Bank conference on Thursday.

“I think from the government’s perspective, they were aligned with that: they didn’t want to see us take the business and spin it off or sell it to somebody.”

Intel has faced pressure to carve off its foundry business as it haemorrhages cash. It lost $13bn last year as it struggled to compete with rival TSMC and attract outside customers.

Zinsner’s comments highlight how the deal with the Trump administration ties the company’s hands.

Analysts including Citi, as well as former Intel board members, have called for a sale — and Intel has seen takeover interest from the likes of Qualcomm.

Intel’s board ousted chief executive Pat Gelsinger, the architect of its ambitious foundry strategy, in December, which intensified expectations that it could ultimately abandon the business.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters on Thursday the deal was being finalised. “The Intel deal is still being ironed out by the Department of Commerce. The T’s are still being crossed, the I’s are still being dotted.”

Intel received $5.7bn of the government investment on Wednesday, Zinsner said. The remaining $3.2bn of the investment is still dependent on Intel hitting milestones agreed under a Department of Defense scheme and has not yet been paid.

He said the warrants could be viewed as “a little bit of friction to keep us from moving in a direction that I think ultimately the government would prefer we not move to”.

He said the direct government stake could also incentivise potential customers to view Intel on a “different level”.

So far, the likes of Nvidia, Apple and Qualcomm have not placed orders with Intel, which has struggled to convince them it has reliable manufacturing processes that could lure them away from TSMC.

As Intel’s new chief executive Lip-Bu Tan seeks to shore up the company’s finances, the government deal also “eliminated the need to access capital markets”, Zinsner explained.

Given the uncertainty over whether Intel would hit the construction milestones required to receive the Chips Act manufacturing grants, converting the government funds to equity “effectively guaranteed that we’d get the cash”.

“This was a great quarter for us in terms of cash raise,” Zinsner added. Intel had also recently sold $1bn of its shares in Mobileye, and was “within a couple of weeks” of closing a deal to sell 51 per cent of its stake in its specialist chips unit Altera to private equity firm Silver Lake, he noted.

SoftBank also made a $2bn investment in Intel last week. Zinsner pushed back against the idea that it had been co-ordinated with the government, as SoftBank chief executive Masayoshi Son pursues an ever-closer relationship with Trump.

“It was coincidence that it fell all in the same week,” Zinsner said.



Source link

Continue Reading

Mergers & Acquisitions

Nuclear fusion developer raises almost $900mn in new funding

Published

on


Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

One of the most advanced nuclear fusion developers has raised about $900mn from backers including Nvidia and Morgan Stanley, as it races to complete a demonstration plant in the US and commercialise the nascent energy technology.   

Commonwealth Fusion Systems plans to use the money to complete its Sparc fusion demonstration machine and begin work on developing a power plant in Virginia. The group secured a deal in June to supply 200 megawatts of electricity to technology giant Google.

The Google deal was one of only a handful of such commercial agreements in the sector and placed CFS at the forefront of fusion companies trying to perfect the technology and develop a commercially viable machine.

CFS has raised almost $3bn since it was spun out of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2018, drawing investors amid heightened interest in nuclear to meet surging energy demand from artificial intelligence.

“Investors recognise that CFS is making fusion power a reality. They see that we are executing and delivering on our objectives,” said Bob Mumgaard, chief executive and co-founder of CFS. 

New investors in CFS’s latest funding round, which raised $863mn, include NVentures, Nvidia’s venture capital arm, Morgan Stanley’s Counterpoint Global and a consortium of 12 Japanese companies led by Mitsui & Co.

Nuclear fusion seeks to produce clean energy by combining atoms in a manner that releases a significant amount of energy. In contrast, fission — the process used in conventional nuclear power — splits heavy atoms such as uranium into smaller atoms, releasing heat.

CFS is also planning to build the world’s first large-scale fusion power plant in Virginia, which is home to the largest concentration of data centres in the world.

BloombergNEF estimates that US data centre power demand will more than double to 78GW by 2035, from about 35GW last year, and nuclear energy start-ups already have raised more than $3bn in 2025, a 400 per cent increase on 2024 levels.

But experts have warned that addressing the technological challenges to the development of fusion would be expensive, putting into question the viability of the technology.

No group has yet been able to produce more energy from a fusion reaction than the system itself consumes despite decades of experimentation.

“Fusion is radically difficult compared to fission,” said Mark Nelson, managing director of the consultancy Radiant Energy Group, pointing to the incredibly high temperatures and pressures required to combine atoms.

“The hard part is not making fusion reactors. Every step forward towards what may be a dead end economically, looks like something that justifies another billion or a Nobel Prize.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending