Connect with us

Top Stories

El Salvador and US negotiate prisoner swap with Venezuela

Published

on


Bernd Debusmann Jr

BBC News, the White House

Will Grant

Mexico, Cuba and Central America correspondent

Embajada de los EE.UU., Venezuela Several men in jeans carrying a large American flag pose for photoEmbajada de los EE.UU., Venezuela

US embassy in Venezuela posted on X a photo of the 10 Americans who were released in a prisoner swap.

El Salvador is repatriating approximately 250 detained Venezuelans in exchange for US nationals held in Venezuela, the governments of the US and El Salvador have announced.

The Central American country exchanged the prisoners – migrants deported from the US and incarcerated in the notorious Centre for the Confinement of Terrorism (Cecot) prison – for the release of 10 US nationals from Venezuela.

The planeload of migrants leaving El Salvador is scheduled to arrive in Maiquetía, Venezuela later on Friday.

A senior US administration official told reporters that, with the release, there are currently no longer any US nationals being held by the government of Nicolas Maduro in Venezuela.

In a post on X on Friday, Salvadorean leader Nayib Bukele said: “Today, we have handed over all the Venezuelan nationals detained in our country, accused of being part of the criminal organization Tren de Aragua (TDA).”

He said the exchange was done in return “for a considerable number of Venezuelan political prisoners” as well as the US citizens.

In a separate post, US Secretary of State Marc Rubio confirmed the exchange and thanked Bukele and American officials.

Citing privacy concerns, US officials have so far declined to publicly identify any of the US nationals released as part of the deal.

CBS, the BBC’s US partner, has reported that one of them is former Navy Seal Wilbert Joseph Castaneda, who was detained in Venezuela last year while on a personal trip.

The Venezuelans being repatriated had originally been deported by the US under the Trump administration to El Salvador earlier this year, under the 1798 Alien Enemies Act, which gives a US president power to detain and deport natives or citizens of “enemy” nations without usual processes.

Among the Venezuelans released is Oscar González Pineda, who’s mother Gertrudis lives in western Venezuela.

She told the BBC in a voice message she was “so happy my heart is overflowing”, adding: “I’m so thankful to God, to (Venezuelan) President Nicolas Maduro for fighting to free them, to the lawyers there in El Salvador.”

Oscar was working as a tile and carpet fitter when he was detained by immigration authorities in Dallas. Initially he understood he was going to a detention facility in Texas but was one of the 252 deportees to Cecot.

Gertrudis has always insisted Oscar had no link to the Tren de Aragua gang.

Courtesy of Gertrudis Pineda Gertrudis Pineda holds up a sign with a photo of her son, reading: "Oscar is not a criminal." Courtesy of Gertrudis Pineda

Gertrudis Pineda insists her son Oscar is not a criminal

A senior Trump administration official told reporters on Friday that El Salvador made the “independent decision” to release the Venezuelan prisoners – which it considers to be gang members – for humanitarian reasons.

Some of the families of the Venezuelan deportees have denied that they have gang connections.

The official added that the complicated deal was “down to the wire”, and was only confirmed to reporters once the aircraft carrying the US nationals left Venezuelan airspace on Friday afternoon.

“We’re dealing with a regime in which there is always a degree of uncertainty on their side, and a degree of uncertainty on our side,” the official said. “At the end of the day, everything worked out, everything is fine and everyone is safely on their way to be reunited with their loved ones.”

Relations between Bukele and US President Donald Trump have warmed significantly in recent months, especially as Bukele had agreed to detain deported US migrants.

The exchange facilitated by El Salvador highlights that strong relationship between Trump and Bukele – the self-styled “world’s coolest dictator”.

“This deal would not have been possible without President Bukele,” the administration official said. “We extend our deep, deep gratitude.”

The Salvadoran leader visited Trump in the White House in April, where the pair appeared friendly as they spoke to reporters, often laughing and cracking jokes together.

Bukele has backed the deportation of migrants from the United States to El Salvador’s Cecot maximum security jail.

Trump said at the time that Bukele is “really helping out” the US out by facilitating these detentions, as the Salvadoran president responded that his country is “very eager to help”.

Around the same time, Bukele first proposed swapping Venezuelan deportees for “political prisoners”, including family members of Venezuelan opposition figures, journalists and activists detained in a government electoral crackdown in 2024.

“The only reason they are imprisoned is for having opposed you and your electoral fraud,” he wrote to Maduro on X.

“However, I propose a humanitarian agreement that includes the repatriation of 100% of the 252 Venezuelans who were deported, in exchange for the release and surrender of an identical number (252) of the thousands of political prisoners you hold.”

While Maduro’s government rejected the deal, the administration official said they saw the proposal as a “critical opportunity” to potentially retrieve US nationals.

The senior administration official said that while the deal only pertained to US nationals kept in Venezuela, the Trump administration is still actively working on the release of “dozens” of political prisoners held by the Maduro government.

The US currently has no official diplomatic relations with Venezuela, on which the US has imposed heavy sanctions.

The administration official said the lifting of sanctions was not a part of the “conversation” about the prisoner swap.

The issue of deportations to El Salvador was starkly highlighted earlier this year by the case of Kilmar Ábrego García, a Maryland man who was mistakenly deported to El Salvador, where he alleged he was subjected to “severe beatings” and “torture” when detained in Cecot.

The Trump administration had previously alleged Mr Ábrego García – a citizen of El Salvador – was a member of the Salvadorian gang, MS-13, which his lawyers and family have strongly denied.

He was returned to the US in July to face human trafficking charges – to which he has pleaded not guilty



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top Stories

LSU tops Clemson in top-10 showdown, snaps Brian Kelly’s losing streak in openers: Takeaways

Published

on


CLEMSON, S.C. — Brian Kelly put everything into this game. He embraced the pressure for LSU to win an opener for the first time in six years. He did it despite the risk, despite how hard it would be to end that streak Saturday with a win at No. 4 Clemson.

And then, despite seeming multiple mistakes, and a halftime deficit, No. 9 LSU pulled it off, beating Clemson 17-10. The streak is over, and Kelly has a validating win, one of the biggest of his four-year LSU tenure.

This offseason, Kelly had Clemson paw prints put all over the LSU facility, from the weight room to hallways. This after LSU lost every season opener since 2020, culminating in last year’s frustrated postgame news conference where Kelly pounded the table after losing to Southern California.

“We’ve made it a specific goal,” Kelly said in July during SEC media days. “I think it was important to have a tangible, specific goal for us to start the season. And I think it’s important our kids want that. They can taste it.”

For a while, though, it looked like the streak would be extended. Clemson scored first and took a 10-3 lead into halftime, after Kelly made the dubious decision to go for it on fourth down from the 13 with 15 seconds left. It failed, but LSU took over in the third quarter: Quarterback Garrett Nussmeier got hot, leading two touchdown drives, while the LSU defense kept making big stops.

Battle of Heisman contending QBs

After Arch Manning and No. 1 Texas lost earlier in the day, the two players with the next-best Heisman odds — LSU’s Nussmeier and Clemson quarterback Cade Klubnik — went head to head a few hours later.

The quarterback duel never materialized, though. Instead, the defenses dominated. Neither quarterback threw a first-half touchdown pass. Klubnik finished 19-of-38 for 230 yards and an interception. Nussmeier went 28-of-38 for 230 yards and one touchdown.

The two experienced, talented passers will have at least 11 more opportunities to state their cases this season, but in Nussmeier’s case, coming away with the win gives him the inside track to the trophy even after an average performance against Clemson’s elite defense line. His numbers won’t offer him much value, but a road win against a top-10 opponent and possible future College Football Playoff team and conference champion will.

Nussmeier helped fuel LSU’s second-half comeback, and even with the modest numbers, he’s the likely new favorite for the Heisman Trophy after Week 1. — David Ubben

The rise of the LSU defense?

Fixing the LSU defense has been a multi-year focus for Kelly. It took small steps forward last year. This game showed another, possibly more tangible, improvement.

Two years ago, LSU had one of the worst defenses at the power-conference level, wasting Jayden Daniels’ Heisman season, and leading Kelly to change defensive coordinators. In Blake Baker’s first year, there was modest improvement, up to 14th in the SEC in scoring defense and yards-per-play allowed.

This season started on an even better note: Two straight three-and-outs, with Clemson attaining minus-10 yards. One of those came after the offense fumbled the ball just outside the red zone; LSU’s defense stood.

Clemson finished the first half with 110 yards. LSU’s offense wasn’t getting many results, but its defense kept the offense in the game long enough.

The run defense stifled Clemson. The pass rush kept Klubnik uncomfortable, leading to his interception in the third quarter. Harold Perkins Jr., back healthy after missing most of last year, had a sack playing out of his edge role. And LSU held on fourth-and-4 on Clemson’s final drive with a chance to tie the score. LSU has always had talent, it was confounding why it couldn’t have a better defense. The Tigers may finally be getting there.

The Tigers made a concerted effort to improve their defensive personnel with several additions along the defensive front and in the secondary. Transfer corner Mansoor Delane (Virginia Tech) came up with a clutch pass break up on a critical fourth-down attempt by Clemson midway in the fourth quarter. Defensive line transfers Bernard Gooden (USF), Jack Pyburn (Florida) and Patrick Payton (Florida State) have elevated the talent level for LSU with that unit, and it looked considerably improved. — Antonio Morales and Seth Emerson

Controversial call?

LSU had what looked to be an apparent touchdown called off by officials on replay, on a consequential play in the second half with the score tied.

Nussmeier threw a deep pass down the sideline that was caught by receiver Barion Brown and ruled out at the 1-yard line. Replay showed that Brown crossed the goal line, but he lost the ball after hitting the ground, following one or two steps.

Officials ruled he didn’t maintain possession of the ball, a play reminiscent of Dez Bryant for the Dallas Cowboys in 2015 or Calvin Johnson with the Detroit Lions in 2010.

ESPN’s rules analyst Bill Lemonnier, a former Big Ten official, said he would’ve ruled LSU’s play possession before Brown hit the ground.

“He’s got firm control. He’s got a foot down inbounds. He’s making a football move, and he’s even hit the pylon,” Lemonnier said on the ABC broadcast. “They’re saying when he hit the ground with the ball movement, that created the incomplete pass. In my view, I would’ve (already) had a touchdown.”

Still, LSU went on to take the lead early in the fourth quarter and held on for the win. — Chris Vannni

Real Death Valley?

Clemson’s mascot — he doesn’t have a name and is known only as The Tiger — tapped a black sign he was holding in the first quarter as the crowd roared for an LSU third down.

“Welcome to the real Death Valley,” it read.

It’s been a constant debate in the sport that crescendoed this week as the two sides clashed in Clemson. In my view? As elite an atmosphere as Clemson provides — it’s as loud as almost anything in the SEC — it still takes a backseat to LSU.

Saturday night was my first time seeing a game at Clemson. A prime-time, season-opening showdown between a pair of top-10 teams is as good as it gets.

Last year, I made my first two trips to LSU’s Death Valley to see the Tigers take on Ole Miss (they won in overtime) and Alabama (the Crimson Tide rolled). It’s as apples to apples a comparison as one can get.

Both are loud. Both packed their respective stadiums. Clemson, frankly, leans a little too hard into pounding bass from the blaring speakers and a DJ whose turntables are set up beside the jumbotron. Clemson’s pregame presentation is elite — the build up to players running down the hill is amazing — and there’s never a lull in the action or a moment when the in-game presentation allows the energy in the stadium to dip.

But LSU’s feels a little more unique with traditions like “Callin’ Baton Rouge,” to say nothing of the gumbo-fueled tailgating atmosphere that serves as a beacon of Cajun culture. It’s literally a different flavor that helps put LSU over the top as the better atmosphere, as well as a venue in Tiger Stadium that seats 20,000 more fans than its counterpart in Clemson.

The somewhat murky history behind which school coined the name when — Clemson was probably first — is secondary to me. I’m going with which place is louder and which place would better introduce an alien to a culture all its own. That’s LSU. — Ubben

 (Photo: Katie Januck / Getty Images)



Source link

Continue Reading

Top Stories

Kamala Harris to remain under protection after Trump revokes Secret Service detail

Published

on


Former Vice President Kamala Harris will receive protection from the California Highway Patrol, after her Secret Service detail was revoked by President Donald Trump.

Law enforcement sources told the LA Times that officials in The Golden State have stepped up to offer their services to Harris when her extended Secret Service protection comes to an end.

Trump signed an order on Thursday which retracted the protection Harris was offered from Monday onwards.

The offer came after discussions between the offices of California Governor Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass about how to best handle the situation, the outlet reported.

Vice Presidents are usually entitled to six months of protection after leaving office, while presidents are afforded protection for the rest of their lives.

But one of Biden’s final actions was to extend her protection through to July 2026. The move came after a request from Harris’ aides.

Typically when the six-month protection expires, former vice presidents – including Mike Pence and Joe Biden – have paid for their own private security. 

Other than Harris, the only other former vice president to receive protection beyond the six-months was Dick Cheney after requesting approval from then-President Barack Obama in 2009. 

Former Vice President Kamala Harris will receive protection from Highway Patrol in California after her Secret Service detail was revoked by President Donald Trump

Trump signed an order on Thursday which retracted the protection Harris was offered from Monday onwards

Governor Gavin Newsom’s office told the publication: ‘Our office does not comment on security arrangements.

‘The safety of our public officials should never be subject to erratic, vindictive political impulses.’ 

Newsom would be required to sign off on any such arrangement with Highway Patrol. 

Harris will not only lose 24/7 in-person Secret Service protection from federal agents, but she will also no longer have threat detection intelligence. 

Mayor Karen Bass slammed Trump’s decision, stating: ‘This is another act of revenge following a long list of political retaliation in the form of firings, the revoking of security clearances and more. 

‘This puts the former Vice President in danger and I look forward to working with the governor to make sure Vice President Harris is safe in Los Angeles.’

Other than Harris, the only other former vice president to receive protection beyond the six-months was Dick Cheney after requesting approval from then-President Barack Obama in 2009. 

One of Biden's final actions was to extend her protection through to July 2026. The move came after a request from Harris' aides

One of Biden’s final actions was to extend her protection through to July 2026. The move came after a request from Harris’ aides

Trump canceled a previously undisclosed directive from President Joe Biden that granted Harris Secret Service protection for an additional year

Trump canceled a previously undisclosed directive from President Joe Biden that granted Harris Secret Service protection for an additional year

Trump’s sudden removal of his 2024 rival’s protection will have immediate ramifications as Harris prepares to launch a nationwide book tour next month for her upcoming memoir ‘107 days.’ 

The book reportedly focuses on her failed short-lived 107 day presidential campaign following Biden’s departure from the race. 

Harris’ tours stops will mostly take place in deep-blue cities, and will start off on September 24th in New York City, the day after her book is released. 

Former presidents and White House officials often face security threats from around the world. 

Trump famously survived two assassination attempts during the 2024 presidential election. 

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Top Stories

Israel identifies body of hostage retrieved from Gaza

Published

on

By


Israel identified the body of hostage Idan Shtivi, recovered from the Gaza Strip in a military operation this week that retrieved the remains of two hostages, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said on Saturday.

Netanyahu’s office had announced on Friday the retrieval of Ilan Weiss’s body along with the remains of another hostage, whose identity is now known to be that of Shtivi but had not been disclosed at the time.

With Weiss and Shtivi‘s bodies recovered, Israel says 48 hostages remain in Gaza, of whom only 20 are believed to be alive.

“Idan Shtivi was abducted from the Tel Gama area and brutally murdered by Hamas terrorists after acting to rescue and evacuate others from the Nova music festival on October 7, 2023. He was 28 years old at the time of his death,” the Israeli military said on Saturday in a statement.

Around 1,200 people were killed and about 251 taken hostage when the Palestinian militant group Hamas attacked Israeli southern communities in October 2023, Israel’s tallies show.

Gaza’s health ministry says Israel’s subsequent military assault has killed over 63,000 Palestinians. The war has displaced nearly the enclave’s entire population, devastated infrastructure, and triggered a humanitarian crisis.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending