Connect with us

Travel Guides & Articles

After Pakistan Refuse to Travel to India For Hockey Asia Cup, Bangladesh Likely to Benefit From Withdrawal

Published

on


Indian sports fans and even citizens not interested in sport were left outraged when it was confirmed that the Pakistan hockey team would be travelling to India for the Hockey Asia Cup 2025, set to be played at Rajgir, Bihar, from August 29 onwards.

The subsequent outrage and backlash forced a U-turn and the Pakistan Hockey Federation made it clear the team would not be travelling – even unsuccessfully pitching for a change in hosts. 

However, as their participation is now all but confirmed to not be taking place, talks of a replacement team coming in have picked up steam – and it seems likely to be Bangladesh. 

A source within Hockey India has confirmed that in case Pakistan do not participate, Bangladesh have already been invited to take part. However, the matter will only be confirmed in two days time. 

“The Indian government has already said that it is willing to provide visas to Pakistani players, but if they don’t want to come to India, it’s not our problem. Bangladesh has already been invited to participate in case Pakistan doesn’t come, but we will have to wait for two more days to get the confirmation,” an HI official told PTI.

“Neither Pakistan or Bangladesh have confirmed anything to us till now. But Bangladesh are likely replacement for Pakistan.” 

If so, it would be a major victory for those who were not keen to see Pakistan turn up for hockey matches just a few months after the Pahalgam terror attacks. 

Pakistan’s participation in the Asia Cup, which was a qualifying tournament for the 2026 World Cup, has been up in the air after the military confrontation with India following the Pahalgam terror attack.

India had launched Operation Sindoor to destroy key parts of the terror infrastructure in Pakistan after the terror attack that killed 26 people. 

Indeed, the PHF had suggested that the tournament be moved out of India to another venue – something that did not come to pass. 

Besides hosts India, the other participating teams in the Asia Cup are China, Japan, Malaysia, South Korea, Oman, and Chinese Taipei. 



Source link

Travel Guides & Articles

PM Modi-Xi Jinping meeting: India and China to resume direct flights after five-year hiatus

Published

on


India and China have agreed to resume direct passenger flights after a five-year suspension, signalling a gradual thaw in bilateral relations and a renewed focus on economic cooperation. The announcement marks a significant development in restoring connectivity between two of Asia’s largest economies.

Air travel between the two countries was halted in early 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic and further disrupted following the deadly border clash in the Galwan Valley that year. Since then, passengers and cargo have been rerouted via third countries such as Thailand, Singapore, and Hong Kong, adding substantial time and cost to travel and trade.

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi confirmed the move on Saturday, a day beforer the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) Summit and his meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping, stating that both governments had agreed to restart direct flight services as relations between the two nations showed signs of improvement. “We are reopening one of Asia’s most important economic corridors,” Modi said, according to reports, adding that the decision would benefit businesses, students, and families across both countries.

Also read | PM Modi meets Xi Jinping in Tianjin as SCO Summit gets underway

Before the suspension, traffic between India and China was considerable. Before the Pandemic in the financial year 2019, over 816,000 passengers travelled between the two nations, with Indian carriers such as Air India and IndiGo operating hundreds of monthly flights alongside Chinese airlines. Cargo movement was also significant, with nearly 30,000 tonnes shipped annually — higher than the cargo volume between India and the US.

The resumption of direct flights is expected to revitalise trade and tourism, as well as support Indian and Chinese companies with firm business ties. For students and professionals who previously relied on complex transit routes, the resumption of direct services will simplify travel and reduce costs.

No official schedule has yet been released, but aviation authorities in both countries are expected to approve routes in the coming weeks. Industry experts predict that carriers will initially resume limited services before expanding based on demand.

The move comes amid broader efforts to stabilise ties between New Delhi and Beijing, with high-level diplomatic engagements resuming and trade volumes gradually recovering. While tensions remain, the restoration of direct air links is being seen as a positive step toward normalising relations.





Source link

Continue Reading

Travel Guides & Articles

Mumbai’s electric water taxi set for Sept launch

Published

on


 

Mumbai’s much-awaited electric water taxi service is set to begin operations on September 22, promising a faster, cleaner, and more comfortable commute between Gateway of India/Mumbai Ferry Wharf and the Jawaharlal Nehru Port Authority (JNPA). The service will replace the existing wooden boats that currently ply the route, cutting travel time from over an hour to less than 40 minutes while offering an eco-friendly alternative.

Bharat Freight Group (BFG), which will manage the operations, has confirmed that two vessels will be introduced in the first phase. One is a hybrid boat powered by solar energy, an electric battery, and a diesel backup, while the other will be fully electric. Both boats can be charged in under an hour, ensuring quick turnaround times for smooth operations. This shift is expected to modernise water-based transport and reduce dependency on fuel-powered vessels.

In the second phase, the fleet will be expanded with four hydrogen-powered boats once the required generators are in place. These vessels will further strengthen Mumbai’s push toward sustainable transportation and align with broader environmental goals. Authorities believe that with this expansion, the water taxi network can become a reliable daily commute option for both office-goers and tourists.

The boats are made of fibre and glass and feature a European design, offering not only improved energy efficiency but also enhanced stability and passenger comfort. This makes them suitable for varied weather conditions and ensures a smoother ride across Mumbai’s busy waterways. The introduction of these vessels marks a significant upgrade over the older fleet in terms of safety and passenger experience.

BFG has also announced plans to expand the service beyond JNPA by adding new routes that will connect South Mumbai to Elephanta Caves, Belapur, Alibaug, and various harbour tourism circuits. This could open up new tourism opportunities and improve connectivity between key coastal destinations in the region.

The launch of Mumbai’s electric water taxi service is being hailed as a milestone in the city’s transport evolution, combining modern technology, environmental responsibility, and improved efficiency. It is expected to ease congestion on roads, offer a scenic travel alternative, and serve as a model for other coastal cities in India looking to modernise their transport infrastructure.



Source link

Continue Reading

Travel Guides & Articles

Travel slump: June sees a dip in number of Indian visitors in US; first decline since 2001 | India News

Published

on


NEW DELHI: The desi peak outbound travel month of June saw a decline in the number of Indian visitors to the US in 2025 over the previous year for the first time this Millennium — barring the Covid period. With 2.1 lakh Indians headed to America in June, the number was 8% lower than 2.3 lakh in same month last year, according to data from US commerce dept’s National Travel and Tourism Office (NTTO). The provisional figure for this July shows 5.5% fall over same month last year.Overall, the US has been seeing a decline in international visitors — and not just from India — in recent months. NTTO says total non-US resident international visitor volume to the US decreased 6.2% in June 2025 over June 2024; 7% in May; 8% in March; 1.9% in Feb. This Jan saw 4.7% increase over same period last year and April was up 1.3%.

Indians With Valid US Visas Can Now Easily Travel To Argentina Without Needing Any Additional Visa

India is the fourth largest source market for international visitors for the US. Since the two biggest source markets — Mexico and Canada — share a land border, India is the second biggest overseas source market with the UK being the biggest. “Combined, these top five source markets (with Brazil being the fifth) accounted for 59.4% of total international arrivals” this June, says NTTO.While travel industry biggies here say it is too early to pin the blame for fall in Indian visitor numbers on the stricter visa regime adopted by President Trump in his second presidency which has seen souring of India-US ties, the impact could be more pronounced going ahead if the same continues. The reason: US mostly issues 10-year validity multiple entry visitor and business visas (B1/B2) so people who already have the same can keep travelling. But if new visas get impacted for reasons like long appointment time or stricter issuance norms, then with a time lag the impact will be visible.“We are seeing a very visible impact on student segment this year due to delay in visa issuance even after people securing college admission. Historically, the biggest categories of visitors headed from India to the US have been visiting friends & relatives (VFR), business and students. The US was never a top leisure destination for Indians. That space has been led by Southeast Asia, Middle East and Europe. North America came after that. Right now apart from students we are not seeing a dramatic impact on the other segments but if new visa issuances are affected, they will also be hit with a certain time lag,” said a leading travel agent.With an Indian diaspora of over 50 lakh, the US sees great demand for travel from the India. NTTO data shows since the start of this Millennium, every June had seen a jump from same month in last year till 2025 broke that trend.April was a great month as far as outbound from India is concerned. According to Indian tourism ministry data, 29 lakh Indians travelled abroad this April with the maximum going to the UAE followed by Saudi Arabia, Thailand, Singapore and the US.“But after May and June, travel was severely impacted following the Pehelgam terror attack, closure of Pakistan airspace (which continues for Indian carriers & vice versa) and then the Air India Ahmedabad crash. So every destination, especially in the west, was impacted badly. The drop to the US may not be in isolation as fast as western destinations go,” said another travel biggie.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending