Connect with us

Mergers & Acquisitions

Smartphone makers must do more to protect children, UK safeguarding minister says

Published

on


Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

The minister charged with tackling violence against girls has called on smartphone makers to do more to embed child protection technology into their devices, as she defended the UK’s new requirements for online age verification.

Jess Phillips said it is “absolutely imperative” that device manufacturers and the developers of their operating systems take greater responsibility for blocking pornographic imagery from children’s phones.

“I want to see tech companies . . . putting as much resource and capability into this as they do into addictive algorithms,” Philips, the minister for safeguarding, told the Financial Times in an interview.

However, as the government monitors the impact of the Online Safety Act and other recent steps to prevent children from accessing pornographic and harmful material, she did not say whether it was planning more rules to compel companies to introduce additional controls.

Regulator Ofcom last month began enforcing elements of the law, which was passed in 2023, that introduced new age assurance requirements for sites hosting such content, triggering renewed debate about how to protect children online.

Phillips said it was “early days” for these newest elements of the law, but insisted it was already having a beneficial effect. “Do I think age verification has stopped a 10-year-old being able to look at pornography? Yes I do,” she said.

A study by the UK’s Children’s Commissioner, conducted before the new rules came into force, found that the average child first encounters pornography online at the age of 13, more than half of them finding it by accident on social media sites.

Phillips insisted it was particularly vital that companies making phones and other devices containing cameras “are part of the solution”, given the potential for devices to be used in the production of child sexual abuse imagery.

The Internet Watch Foundation, a charity, has said the vast majority of such material reported to it is “self-generated”, with children tricked or extorted into using the phone’s camera to produce sexual images of themselves and share them.

As an example, she pointed to a new device aimed at children produced by HMD Global, owner of the Nokia brand, that contains innovative software designed to detect and block pornography.

Launched on Wednesday, the HMD Fuse is the first handset to use HarmBlock software from UK-based company SafeToNet which analyses any images displayed on its screen to detect pornography, as well as containing other controls in the device’s camera and Android operating system.

“I don’t know that I would have necessarily thought that what was being suggested was possible before I saw it with my own eyes,” Phillips said of the handset being released in the UK this month.

Apple’s iPhones and devices running Google’s Android software already offer parents the ability to control which apps their children can install and set limits on their use. Apple plans to offer new capabilities in a software update this year, including allowing parents to share a child’s age range with third-party apps, without sharing their exact birth date.

Since 2022, Apple has offered parents a tool called Communication Safety that detects nudity in photos and video before they are sent or viewed through its Messages app on a child’s device. The system will soon be expanded to include FaceTime video calls.

Google said this year that its “Family System” for Android devices would be expanded with new controls, including restricting calls and texts only to approved contacts.

Phillips said many parents remained “anxious about not knowing what their kids are looking at” on their phones.

“A change in this space is coming one way or another — because of people power [and] parents’ power,” she said. “Whether it’s regulation or just people voting with their feet and the market making the case, the handset companies and those who make the operating systems that sit within those devices would be foolish not to do more now.”

A huge jump in UK usage of virtual private networks since age verification rules were brought in by many pornographic websites and social networking apps suggests many people have turned to VPN technology to disguise their locations and evade the controls.

Phillips said: “If there are very easy means of getting around [the rules], then obviously government has to look at that.”



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Mergers & Acquisitions

FTAV’s further reading

Published

on



AI and jobs; Oklahoma and towers; India and retailers; AI and cybercrime; Norway and elections



Source link

Continue Reading

Mergers & Acquisitions

Trump Intel deal designed to block sale of chipmaking unit, CFO says

Published

on


Unlock the White House Watch newsletter for free

The Trump administration’s investment in Intel was structured to deter the chipmaker from selling its manufacturing unit, its chief financial officer said on Thursday, locking it into a lossmaking business it has faced pressure to offload.

The US government last week agreed to take a 10 per cent stake in Intel by converting $8.9bn of federal grants under the 2022 Chips Act into equity, the latest unorthodox intervention by President Donald Trump in corporate America.

The agreement also contains a five-year warrant that allows the government to take an additional 5 per cent of Intel at $20 a share if it ceases to own 51 per cent of its foundry business — which aims to make chips for third-party clients.

“I don’t think there’s a high likelihood that we would take our stake below the 50 per cent, so ultimately I would expect [the warrant] to expire,” CFO David Zinsner told a Deutsche Bank conference on Thursday.

“I think from the government’s perspective, they were aligned with that: they didn’t want to see us take the business and spin it off or sell it to somebody.”

Intel has faced pressure to carve off its foundry business as it haemorrhages cash. It lost $13bn last year as it struggled to compete with rival TSMC and attract outside customers.

Zinsner’s comments highlight how the deal with the Trump administration ties the company’s hands.

Analysts including Citi, as well as former Intel board members, have called for a sale — and Intel has seen takeover interest from the likes of Qualcomm.

Intel’s board ousted chief executive Pat Gelsinger, the architect of its ambitious foundry strategy, in December, which intensified expectations that it could ultimately abandon the business.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters on Thursday the deal was being finalised. “The Intel deal is still being ironed out by the Department of Commerce. The T’s are still being crossed, the I’s are still being dotted.”

Intel received $5.7bn of the government investment on Wednesday, Zinsner said. The remaining $3.2bn of the investment is still dependent on Intel hitting milestones agreed under a Department of Defense scheme and has not yet been paid.

He said the warrants could be viewed as “a little bit of friction to keep us from moving in a direction that I think ultimately the government would prefer we not move to”.

He said the direct government stake could also incentivise potential customers to view Intel on a “different level”.

So far, the likes of Nvidia, Apple and Qualcomm have not placed orders with Intel, which has struggled to convince them it has reliable manufacturing processes that could lure them away from TSMC.

As Intel’s new chief executive Lip-Bu Tan seeks to shore up the company’s finances, the government deal also “eliminated the need to access capital markets”, Zinsner explained.

Given the uncertainty over whether Intel would hit the construction milestones required to receive the Chips Act manufacturing grants, converting the government funds to equity “effectively guaranteed that we’d get the cash”.

“This was a great quarter for us in terms of cash raise,” Zinsner added. Intel had also recently sold $1bn of its shares in Mobileye, and was “within a couple of weeks” of closing a deal to sell 51 per cent of its stake in its specialist chips unit Altera to private equity firm Silver Lake, he noted.

SoftBank also made a $2bn investment in Intel last week. Zinsner pushed back against the idea that it had been co-ordinated with the government, as SoftBank chief executive Masayoshi Son pursues an ever-closer relationship with Trump.

“It was coincidence that it fell all in the same week,” Zinsner said.



Source link

Continue Reading

Mergers & Acquisitions

Nuclear fusion developer raises almost $900mn in new funding

Published

on


Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

One of the most advanced nuclear fusion developers has raised about $900mn from backers including Nvidia and Morgan Stanley, as it races to complete a demonstration plant in the US and commercialise the nascent energy technology.   

Commonwealth Fusion Systems plans to use the money to complete its Sparc fusion demonstration machine and begin work on developing a power plant in Virginia. The group secured a deal in June to supply 200 megawatts of electricity to technology giant Google.

The Google deal was one of only a handful of such commercial agreements in the sector and placed CFS at the forefront of fusion companies trying to perfect the technology and develop a commercially viable machine.

CFS has raised almost $3bn since it was spun out of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2018, drawing investors amid heightened interest in nuclear to meet surging energy demand from artificial intelligence.

“Investors recognise that CFS is making fusion power a reality. They see that we are executing and delivering on our objectives,” said Bob Mumgaard, chief executive and co-founder of CFS. 

New investors in CFS’s latest funding round, which raised $863mn, include NVentures, Nvidia’s venture capital arm, Morgan Stanley’s Counterpoint Global and a consortium of 12 Japanese companies led by Mitsui & Co.

Nuclear fusion seeks to produce clean energy by combining atoms in a manner that releases a significant amount of energy. In contrast, fission — the process used in conventional nuclear power — splits heavy atoms such as uranium into smaller atoms, releasing heat.

CFS is also planning to build the world’s first large-scale fusion power plant in Virginia, which is home to the largest concentration of data centres in the world.

BloombergNEF estimates that US data centre power demand will more than double to 78GW by 2035, from about 35GW last year, and nuclear energy start-ups already have raised more than $3bn in 2025, a 400 per cent increase on 2024 levels.

But experts have warned that addressing the technological challenges to the development of fusion would be expensive, putting into question the viability of the technology.

No group has yet been able to produce more energy from a fusion reaction than the system itself consumes despite decades of experimentation.

“Fusion is radically difficult compared to fission,” said Mark Nelson, managing director of the consultancy Radiant Energy Group, pointing to the incredibly high temperatures and pressures required to combine atoms.

“The hard part is not making fusion reactors. Every step forward towards what may be a dead end economically, looks like something that justifies another billion or a Nobel Prize.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending