Top Stories
FTC Sues Ticket Reseller Over Scalped Taylor Swift Eras Tour Tickets

The Federal Trade Commission filed a lawsuit against a Maryland-based ticket resale company on Monday, alleging that the company broke federal law to obtain hundreds of thousands of tickets to Taylor Swift‘s Eras tour and other major concerts and scalp them for millions of dollars in profit.
In the lawsuit, filed in federal court on Monday and reviewed by The Hollywood Reporter, the FTC alleged that Key Investment Group violated the Better Online Ticket Sales Act — better known as the BOTS Act — to work around Ticketmaster’s ticket purchase limits and obtain nearly 380,000 concert tickets between November of 2022 and December of 2023. The company spent about $57 million for the tickets and resold them for about $64 million.
The FTC alleged that to secure so many tickets, the company used “thousands of fictitious Ticketmaster accounts, thousands of virtual and traditional credit card numbers, proxy or spoofed IP addresses, and SIM banks to bypass or otherwise avoid security measures” on Ticketmaster.
Per the lawsuit, between March and August of 2023, Key Investment Group had bought about 2,280 tickets for Swift’s 38 Eras Tour show dates, exceeding the shows’ six-ticket-per-customer limit, buying them for about $744,970.29 and reselling them for $1,961,980.65. At just one of Swift’s Allegiant Stadium shows in Las Vegas, the company used 49 different accounts to secure 273 tickets, reselling them for $119,227.21 in net profit.
Meanwhile for a 2023 Bruce Springsteen show at MetLife Stadium, Key Investment group used 277 different accounts to secure over 1,500 tickets, marking them up for a combined $21,000 in revenue.
The FTC’s lawsuit comes months after President Donald Trump signed an executive order back in March calling for increased of the BOTS Act. Until now, the BOTS Act had only been enforced one time since it was passed into law back into 2016.
“President Trump made it clear in his March Executive Order that unscrupulous middlemen who harm fans and jack up prices through anticompetitive methods will hear from us,” FTC Chairman Andrew N. Ferguson said in a statement. “Today’s action puts brokers on notice that the Trump-Vance FTC will police operations that unlawfully circumvent ticket sellers’ purchase limits, ensuring that consumers have an opportunity to buy tickets at fair prices.”
In an unprecedented move, the FTC has twisted the intent of the Better Online Ticket Sales (BOTS) Act, a law designed to target malicious software, into a weapon against legitimate businesses and consumers,” a representative for KIG said in a statement. “Under the FTC’s interpretation, anyone who purchases more than four tickets or uses more than one account could be deemed in violation of federal law. That outcome is not only illogical, it’s absurd. Even more troubling, the FTC misleadingly characterizes Key Investment Group’s use of standard internet browsers to purchase tickets as equivalent to deploying unlawful software. This portrayal is both deceptive and malicious. Key Investment Group is prepared to vigorously defend itself against this clear example of regulatory overreach.
The company had filed a lawsuit of its own against the FTC back in July over this case’s investigation, arguing that KIG has fully complied with the BOTS Act.
“The Better Online Ticket Sales (BOTS) Act is intended to address bad actors using ticket bots, or specialized computer scripts, to find ways to circumvent the ticket buying security systems and secure large volumes of event tickets before consumers have a chance to buy. This is not what KIG does,” the company said in a release at the time.
The FTC suit is just the latest in a busy year for government intervention in the live music business. Last month, the DOJ indicted Oak View Group CEO Tim Leiweke on bid-rigging allegations over the development of the Moody Center in Austin Texas. (Leiweke stepped down from the company but denied the DOJ’s allegations.) Back in May, as part of Trump’s executive order, the DOJ and FTC launched a public inquiry into the live music business.
The FTC’s suit has been applauded by other stakeholders in the live music business who’ve advocated for more enforcement in the ticketing industry. The National Independent Venue Association’s executive director Stephen Parker called the suit, “a momentous step toward finally holding ticket brokers and resale platforms accountable for violating the BOTS Act.”
“Fans and independent stages have been waiting years for real enforcement, and we hope this marks the beginning of a new era of rigorous oversight,” Parker said in a statement. “We applaud today’s actions and urge the FTC to keep going and ramp up its work to protect fans, artists, and stages from illegal bots and other methods intended to circumvent the law.”
Top Stories
Aid flotilla with Greta Thunberg set to sail for Gaza to ‘break illegal siege’ | Greta Thunberg

A flotilla carrying humanitarian aid and activists, including Swedish climate campaigner Greta Thunberg, is due to leave from Barcelona on Sunday to try to “break the illegal siege of Gaza”, organisers said.
The vessels will set off from the Spanish port city to “open a humanitarian corridor and end the ongoing genocide of the Palestinian people”, said the Global Sumud Flotilla.
They did not say how many ships would set sail or the exact time of departure.
The flotilla is expected to arrive at the war-ravaged coastal enclave in mid-September.
“This will be the largest solidarity mission in history, with more people and more boats than all previous attempts combined,” Brazilian activist Thiago Ávila told journalists in Barcelona last week.
Organisers say that dozens of other vessels are expected to leave Tunisian and other Mediterranean ports on 4 September.
Activists will also stage simultaneous demonstrations and other protests in 44 countries “in solidarity with the Palestinian people”, Thunberg, who is part of the flotilla’s steering committee, wrote on Instagram.
As well as Thunberg, the flotilla will include activists from several countries, European lawmakers and public figures such as former Barcelona mayor Ada Colau.
“We understand that this is a legal mission under international law,” leftwing Portuguese lawmaker Mariana Mortágua, who will join the mission, told journalists in Lisbon last week.
Israel has already blocked two attempts by activists to deliver aid by ship to Gaza, in June and July.
In June, 12 activists on board the sailboat Madleen were intercepted by Israeli forces 185km west of Gaza. Its passengers, who included Thunberg, were detained and eventually expelled.
In July, 21 activists from 10 countries were intercepted as they tried to approach Gaza in another vessel, the Handala.
Top Stories
‘Way too much’: Utah violinist’s detention by immigration officials sparks backlash from backers

SALT LAKE CITY — That federal immigration officials are taking aim at John Shin, a violinist originally from South Korea, is a misuse of resources, Gabriel Gordon charges.
“That is just way too much for somebody who gives so much to this community and to this society. He’s a great father and a great husband and a great friend and a great musician, and this just shouldn’t be happening to him,” said Gordon, a fellow violinist.
Shin, who has a master’s degree in music performance from the University of Utah and has performed with the Utah Symphony and Ballet West, has long lived in Utah. He now finds himself in a federal immigration detention center in Aurora, Colorado.
Shin’s Salt Lake City lawyer, Adam Crayk, offered stronger words. A hearing in his client’s case is set for next Tuesday.
“Unless there is something out there, some sort of smoking gun that the government is hiding that’s going to be revealed in his first court (appearance), this is one of the most dumb, idiotic, egregious wastes of federal resources that I’ve had to deal with in a while,” Crayk said.
Shin legally entered the country, he noted, and has been married to an American woman for four years.
Shin, brought from South Korea as a child by his father, was unexpectedly detained on Aug. 18 by immigration officials, part of President Donald Trump’s crackdown on illegal immigration across the country. The arrest has prompted a strong public outcry from his family and supporters. Gordon and oboist Nicole Fullmer — longtime friends — have been regularly playing music in the rotunda of the Utah Capitol in Salt Lake City to call attention to what they view as a miscarriage of justice.
“He is a wonderful person. He is good for the community. He is a positive influence on everyone he touches. He absolutely does not deserve to be deported,” said Fullmer. She studied music at the U. with Shin and Shin’s American wife Danae Snow, who plays the viola.
Regardless, as immigration officials ratchet up efforts around the country to detain and deport immigrants in the country illegally, federal officials offered their own tough response.
Gordon understands Shin entered the United States on an immigrant visa and later secured status under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which allows eligible immigrants brought to the country illegally by their parents to remain and work in the United States. However, a senior U.S. Department of Homeland Security official stated that Shin entered the country from South Korea in 1998 on a tourist visa. That visa, according to the official, required him to leave the following year.
“Over 25 years later, he was still illegally in the U.S.,” reads the statement to KSL.com from the official. Trump and Department of Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem “are committed to restoring integrity to the visa program and ensuring it is not abused to allow aliens a permanent one-way ticket to remain in the U.S. Our message is clear: Criminal illegal aliens are not welcome in the United States.”
While the Trump administration’s approach has garnered support from many, Shin’s backers are equally resolute, and the case underscores the complex sentiments the immigration issue has stirred. Shin and his family have received nearly $70,000 in donations from supporters as part of a GoFundMe campaign to raise funds for his legal defense and his backers are planning a benefit concert on Monday, Sept. 1, for Shin.
The case also highlights the debate about the weight of prior brushes with the law, particularly if they’re relatively minor, in determining whether immigrants face the force of the immigration crackdown.
The Department of Homeland Security said Shin’s “criminal history includes a DUI conviction,” that is, a conviction for driving under the influence, presumably of alcohol. Crayk, though, said the 2019 charge, originally driving under the influence, was ultimately reduced to the less-severe driving while impaired, a class B misdemeanor.
He said the impaired driving charge “requires no sort of forgiveness, no sort of waiver” to fix Shin’s migratory status.
“We just have to prove he entered the United States lawfully and that he is legitimately married to a United States citizen,” Crayk said. He didn’t immediately respond to a query about the significance of immigration officials’ contention that Shin overstayed a tourist visa, supplied after Crayk initially spoke with KSL.com.
Crayk blasted the apparent resources that immigration officials poured into Shin’s detention. He was detained, the lawyer said, by a special Department of Homeland Security team that typically focuses on immigrant fugitives involved in drug trafficking and other serious crimes. Indeed, at next Tuesday’s hearing, Shin will seek release from detention on bond, and meeting the requirements — showing that he’s not a danger to the community or a flight risk — “should be fairly easy,” Crayk said.
Meantime, Shin now regularly speaks by phone with his wife, though she was initially unable to reach him after his arrest. “He’s maintaining a relatively positive attitude,” Crayk said.
Members of the music community, for their part, are getting word out about Shin’s case and trying to drum up support for him. They’ve launched a letter-writing campaign aimed at the immigration judge in Shin’s case to demonstrate the community’s backing for him. Next Monday’s benefit concert, featuring Shin’s musician friends and Kurt Bestor, a Grammy-nominated musician, is set for 7 p.m. and will be held at First United Methodist Church at 203 S. 200 East in Salt Lake City.
“John is probably one of the kindest people I know. He’s just always very positive and upbeat,” Fuller said. “There has been a huge outpouring of people, both who know him and/or know Danae and people who even don’t necessarily know them personally but have worked with them.”
Gordon thinks there are more problematic issues than Shin.
“There are actual problems here in this country that need to be solved. John and people like him are not one of them, that’s for sure,” he said. “They add to our country, and they add to our society and they should stay.”
The Key Takeaways for this article were generated with the assistance of large language models and reviewed by our editorial team. The article, itself, is solely human-written.
Top Stories
LSU vs. Clemson live updates: Tigers battle as top draft prospects Garrett Nussmeier, Cade Klubnik headline

A top-10 showdown in Death Valley (East) could be the best of a terrific Week 1 college football slate to open the 2025 season.No. 9 LSU at No. 4 Clemson has more than enough storylines to keep you interested.
In Clemson quarterback Cade Klubnik vs. LSU quarterback Garrett Nussmeier, you have two of the most popular options to be taken No. 1 overall in next year’s NFL Draft. It’s why multiple NFL general managers are expected to be inside Memorial Stadium on Saturday. But, it doesn’t stop there.
It’s “DLU” (Clemson’s Peter Woods, T.J. Parker) vs. what could be LSU’s reemergence as “DBU” after an aggressive offseason talent overhaul. It’s star receivers (LSU’s Nic Anderson and Barion Brown) vs. star receivers (Clemson’s Antonio Williams, Bryant Wesco Jr.) It’s Dabo Swinney vs. Brian Kelly. Tigers vs. Tigers.
A win puts the victor on the fast track to making the College Football Playoff. A loss makes the path that much more treacherous, especially for LSU and a slate that still includes six preseason top 25 SEC teams.
Keep it locked here as CBS Sports provides you with live updates, highlights and analysis as LSU battles Clemson to open the 2025 season in Week 1.
-
Tools & Platforms3 weeks ago
Building Trust in Military AI Starts with Opening the Black Box – War on the Rocks
-
Ethics & Policy1 month ago
SDAIA Supports Saudi Arabia’s Leadership in Shaping Global AI Ethics, Policy, and Research – وكالة الأنباء السعودية
-
Events & Conferences3 months ago
Journey to 1000 models: Scaling Instagram’s recommendation system
-
Jobs & Careers2 months ago
Mumbai-based Perplexity Alternative Has 60k+ Users Without Funding
-
Business2 days ago
The Guardian view on Trump and the Fed: independence is no substitute for accountability | Editorial
-
Funding & Business2 months ago
Kayak and Expedia race to build AI travel agents that turn social posts into itineraries
-
Education2 months ago
VEX Robotics launches AI-powered classroom robotics system
-
Podcasts & Talks2 months ago
Happy 4th of July! 🎆 Made with Veo 3 in Gemini
-
Podcasts & Talks2 months ago
OpenAI 🤝 @teamganassi
-
Jobs & Careers2 months ago
Astrophel Aerospace Raises ₹6.84 Crore to Build Reusable Launch Vehicle