Connect with us

Top Stories

Air Canada suspends operations as flight attendants go on strike

Published

on


TORONTO (AP) — Air Canada suspended all operations as more than 10,000 Air Canada flight attendants went on strike early Saturday after a deadline to reach a deal passed, leaving travelers around the world stranded and scrambling during the peak summer travel season.

Canadian Union of Public Employees spokesman Hugh Pouliot confirmed the strike has started after no deal was reached, and the airline said shortly after that it would halt operations.

A bitter contract fight between Canada’s largest airline and the union representing 10,000 of its flight attendants escalated Friday as the union turned down the airline’s request to enter into government-directed arbitration, which would eliminate its right to strike and allow a third-party mediator to decide the terms of a new contract.

Flight attendants walk off the job

Flight attendants walked off the job around 1 a.m. EDT on Saturday. Around the same time, Air Canada said it would begin locking flight attendants out of airports.

Federal Jobs Minister Patty Hajdu met with both the airline and union on Friday night and urged them to work harder to them to reach a deal “once and for all.”

“It is unacceptable that such little progress has been made. Canadians are counting on both parties to put forward their best efforts,” Hajdu said in a statement posted on social media.

Pouliot, the spokesman for the union, earlier said the union had a meeting with Hajdu and representatives from Air Canada earlier Friday evening.

“CUPE has engaged with the mediator to relay our willingness to continue bargaining — despite the fact that Air Canada has not countered our last two offers since Tuesday,” he said in a email. “We’re here to bargain a deal, not to go on strike.”

Travelers are in limbo

A complete shutdown will impact about 130,000 people a day, and some 25,000 Canadians a day may be stranded abroad. Air Canada operates around 700 flights per day.

Montreal resident Alex Laroche, 21, and his girlfriend had been saving since Christmas for their European vacation. Now their $8,000 trip with nonrefundable lodging is on the line as they wait to hear from Air Canada about the fate of their Saturday night flight to Nice, France.

How long the airline’s planes will be grounded remains to be seen, but Air Canada Chief Operating Officer Mark Nasr has said it could take up to a week to fully restart operations once a tentative deal is reached.

Passengers whose travel is impacted will be eligible to request a full refund on the airline’s website or mobile app, according to Air Canada.

The airline said it would also offer alternative travel options through other Canadian and foreign airlines when possible. But it warned that it could not guarantee immediate rebooking because flights on other airlines are already full “due to the summer travel peak.”

Laroche said he considered booking new flights with a different carrier, but he said most of them are nearly full and cost more than double the $3,000 they paid for their original tickets.

“At this point, it’s just a waiting game,” he said.

Laroche said he was initially upset over the union’s decision to go on strike, but that he had a change of heart after reading about the key issues at the center of the contract negotiations, including the issue of wages.

“Their wage is barely livable,” Laroche said.

Sides say they’re far apart on pay

Air Canada and the Canadian Union of Public Employees have been in contract talks for about eight months, but they have yet to reach a tentative deal.

Both sides say they remain far apart on the issue of pay and the unpaid work flight attendants do when planes aren’t in the air.

The airline’s latest offer included a 38% increase in total compensation, including benefits and pensions over four years, that it said “would have made our flight attendants the best compensated in Canada.”

But the union pushed back, saying the proposed 8% raise in the first year didn’t go far enough because of inflation. ___

Associated Press airlines writer Rio Yamat reported from Las Vegas.





Source link

Top Stories

‘The face of Hamas’: Israel confirms terror group’s spokesman Abu Obeida killed

Published

on


Israel declared on Sunday that notorious Hamas spokesman Hudayfa Samir Abdallah al-Kahlout, alias Abu Obeida, was killed in an Israeli airstrike in Gaza City in the northern Gaza Strip a day earlier.

The Israel Defense Forces and Shin Bet initially said only that the Saturday strike had targeted a senior Hamas operative, but reports quickly identified the operative as the infamous terror group spokesman, and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu confirmed the identification at the weekly cabinet meeting on Sunday.

The outcome of the strike was initially unclear, but unnamed Israeli security sources had expressed cautious optimism as to Abu Obeida’s fate, until Defense Minister Israel Katz confirmed Sunday that the strike had been successful.

In a post on X, Katz wrote that the longtime spokesman “was sent to meet all the eliminated members of the axis of evil from Iran, Gaza, Lebanon, and Yemen at the bottom of hell.”

“Soon, as the campaign over Gaza intensifies,” he promised, “he will meet many more of his partners in crime there — Hamas murderers and rapists.”

Shortly after Katz’s remarks, the IDF issued a statement confirming that Abu Obeida, whom it called “the face of the terrorist organization,” had indeed been the target of Saturday’s strike.

“The operation was conducted jointly from the Shin Bet’s operations war room, in cooperation with the Southern Command, and was made possible thanks to prior intelligence gathered by the Shin Bet and Military Intelligence, which pointed to the hideout where the terrorist was located,” the IDF statement said.

The military said that for the past decade, Abu Obeida “was responsible for the propaganda apparatus of Hamas’s military wing. In this role, he oversaw spokesperson operations across brigades and battalions, coordinated between political media elements and the military wing, and was the senior figure setting propaganda policy.”

Hamas’s propaganda wing, said the IDF, “was responsible for distributing the atrocities of the October 7 massacre using footage captured by Hamas terrorists.”

Abu Obeida’s outfit also spread videos throughout the Arab world seeking to incite acts of terror and distributed videos of hostages in Gaza, the military added.

Earlier on Sunday, Netanyahu had said at the opening of the weekly cabinet meeting that Israel had not yet been able to confirm if Abu Obeida had been killed.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (C) leads a cabinet meeting at an undisclosed secure location on August 31, 2025 (Screenshot/GPO)

“The Shin Bet and the IDF struck the Hamas spokesman, the spokesman of the murderous evil organization, Abu Obeida,” he said.

“We still don’t know the final outcome — I hope he is no longer with us — but I notice there’s no one to speak about this from Hamas’s side,” the premier quipped. “So, the coming hours and days will tell.”

Abu Obeida had been the spokesman of Hamas’s military wing, the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades, since 2004. He rose to prominence in 2006 when he announced the kidnapping of IDF soldier Gilad Shalit.

The always-masked Abu Obeida has since been the face of the terror group’s higher-profile statements and its psychological warfare.

Abu Obeida’s last statement was issued on Friday evening, warning Israel that its planned offensive to conquer Gaza City would subject hostages in the area to the “same risks” as the terror group’s fighters.

In light of the assassination of the Hamas spokesman, coupled with the strikes that killed the prime minister of the Houthi-led government, Ahmed Ghaleb al-Rahwi, in Yemen last week, the cabinet was reported to have gathered for its weekly meeting in a secure alternative location out of fear of retaliatory attacks.

At the meeting, Netanyahu said that the IDF “has already begun implementing” a recent cabinet decision “to defeat Hamas and bring back all of our hostages.” Those goals have long been the stated aims of the war in Gaza, but Netanyahu seemed to be referencing the decision to move ahead with the conquest of Gaza City by the IDF.

Turning to last week’s strike on the Houthi political leadership, Netanyahu said that “in every one of his speeches, [Houthi leader Abdul-Malik] al-Houthi promises he will strike Israel, that he will destroy Israel. That’s written on their flag.”

“That promise will not be fulfilled,” he promised. “But our promise — to strike the terror regime with increased force — is being fulfilled. And how is it being fulfilled. In a deadly blow, the IDF eliminated most of the Houthi government and additional military officials.”

He said that Israel will continue working to assassinate senior Houthi officials: “This is only the beginning of the campaign targeting senior officials in Sana’a. We will reach all of them.”

Netanyahu also boasted that the Western and Arab coalitions that have attacked the Houthis in the past were unable to achieve what Israel has, and said that ever since the 12-day war with Iran in June, Israel has been “striking the remaining parts of the axis systematically — day after day, front after front.”


Is The Times of Israel important to you?

If so, we have a request. 

Every day, even during war, our journalists keep you abreast of the most important developments that merit your attention. Millions of people rely on ToI for fast, fair and free coverage of Israel and the Jewish world. 

We care about Israel – and we know you do too. So today, we have an ask: show your appreciation for our work by joining The Times of Israel Community, an exclusive group for readers like you who appreciate and financially support our work. 


Yes, I’ll give


Yes, I’ll give

Already a member? Sign in to stop seeing this


You appreciate our journalism

You clearly find our careful reporting valuable, in a time when facts are often distorted and news coverage often lacks context.

Your support is essential to continue our work. We want to continue delivering the professional journalism you value, even as the demands on our newsroom have grown dramatically since October 7.

So today, please consider joining our reader support group, The Times of Israel Community. For as little as $6 a month you’ll become our partners while enjoying The Times of Israel AD-FREE, as well as accessing exclusive content available only to Times of Israel Community members.

Thank you,
David Horovitz, Founding Editor of The Times of Israel


Join Our Community


Join Our Community

Already a member? Sign in to stop seeing this





Source link

Continue Reading

Top Stories

Move aside Arch Manning, the breakout star from Ohio State vs. Texas football is a Cleveland product

Published

on


COLUMBUS, OH – AUGUST 31: Ohio State Buckeyes linebacker Arvell Reese (20) lines up for a play during the game against the Akron Zips and the Ohio State Buckeyes on August 31, 2024, at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, OH. (Photo by Ian Johnson/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Texas had a chance to solidify itself as the nation’s best college football team Saturday, but a rising star from Ohio State had different plans.

When running back CJ Baxter ran it on a fourth and 2 early in the contest, this linebacker was there to limit the play to a 1-yard gain. On a third-and-8 run by Arch Manning later in the quarter, he again held the gain to 1 yard. In the second quarter, with Texas looking to respond to an Ohio State touchdown, he sacked Manning on a third and 10.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.



Source link

Continue Reading

Top Stories

UCLA gets blown out in Nico Iamaleava’s debut

Published

on


As poet laureate Nick Saban put it a year ago today regarding the NIL era of college football, “If you don’t pay the right guys, you’ll be shit out of luck.”

UCLA looks to be shit out of luck. And Tennessee looks to be shit in luck.

It traces to the adventures of Nico Iamaleava. He wanted more from Tennessee than Tennessee wanted to pay. So Tennessee turned its back on Nico. Who transferred to UCLA. Which opened the door for UCLA quarterback Joey Aguilar to transfer to Tennessee.

Both quarterbacks debuted with their new teams on Saturday. It did not go well for UCLA.

Via Paolo Ugetti of ESPN.com, Iamaleava struggled in a 43-10 blowout loss to Utah. In a UCLA home game at the iconic Rose Bowl.

“We got punched in the mouth,” Iamaleava said after the game.

For the game, he completed 11 of 22 passes for 136 yards, one touchdown, and one interception. He also led the team in rushing with 47 yards.

“Nico is a competitor,” coach Deshaun Foster said after the game. “He’s not gonna quit. He kept playing hard. We just gotta do a better job protecting him, keeping him upright.”

Meanwhile, Tennessee and Aguilar thumped Syracuse, 45-26. Aguilar completed 16 of 28 passes for 247 yards and three touchdowns. His 34 yards rushing were fourth on the team. That only makes things worse for Iamaleava and UCLA.

“We take this as a learning experience,” Iamaleava said. “We’re gonna face many more tough opponents, and we gotta be ready.”

If not ready, willing, and able, UCLA could have the kind of season that could wash Foster out of Pasadena — and that could put Iamaleava back in the portal.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending