Connect with us

Mergers & Acquisitions

Russia hits Ukraine with biggest air attack of the war

Published

on


Russia launched the most extensive aerial bombardment of Ukraine since its full-scale invasion, according to Kyiv, signalling a sharp escalation in Moscow’s campaign and further undermining fragile hopes for a negotiated resolution to the war now in its fourth year.

Ukraine’s air force said Russia had fired a staggering 537 aerial weapons in a single overnight barrage that began late on Saturday, including 477 explosive drones and decoys and 60 missiles of various types. Ukrainian air defences intercepted 211 drones and 38 missiles.

The scale of the assault marks a dramatic intensification in Russia’s strategy. Ukrainian officials say Moscow aims to systematically degrade the country’s limited air defence network and exhaust its western-supplied arsenal.

Ukraine’s air force said one of its F-16 pilots, Lieutenant Colonel Maksym Ustymenko, was killed after his aircraft sustained damage while downing seven aerial targets. He steered the plane away from populated areas, it added, but was unable to eject in time.

To the south in Kherson, regional authorities said one man was killed in a drone attack. In Kharkiv, in the north-east, two men were killed when a drone struck their car, according to the regional governor. Residential buildings sustained damage in several other cities.

In Kyiv, residents took refuge in bomb shelters and metro stations deep underground, while the booms of air defences intercepting Russian drones reverberated above. Several missiles and drones struck critical infrastructure in the western city of Lviv, which sits close to the border with Nato member Poland, according to the mayor.

People take shelter inside a metro station during a Russian military strike
People take shelter inside a metro station on Sunday during the Russian military strike © Yan Dobronosov/Reuters

Ukraine has used fighter jets for air defence in part because of its dwindling supply of surface-to-air defence systems and interceptor missiles. The Trump administration has so far declined to sell Kyiv more of the prized Patriot air defence systems, a few of which were provided in security packages under President Joe Biden.

Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelenskyy called on western partners to step up support for his war-battered nation and reiterated Kyiv’s readiness to buy more air defence systems from Washington.

“Ukraine needs to strengthen its air defence — the thing that best protects lives,” Zelenskyy wrote on X. “These are American systems, which we are ready to buy.

“Moscow will not stop as long as it has the capability to launch massive strikes,” he wrote, adding that “pressure on the aggressor is needed” in the face of Russia’s air attacks and its summer ground offensive.

Russia attacked Ukraine with more than 114 missiles, over 1,270 drones and nearly 1,100 glide bombs in the past week, he said. Most of the drones launched overnight were Russian-Iranian-type suicide drones, he said.

A resident holds her dog at the site of an apartment building damaged during Russian drone and missile strikes, amid Russia’s attack on Ukraine
A resident holds her dog at the site of an apartment building damaged during Russian drone and missile strikes, amid Russia’s attack on Ukraine © Emergency Service of Ukraine in Cherkasy region

Ukrainian defence minister Rustem Umerov told reporters on Friday that Russia had increased its combined missile and drone strikes in recent months. Moscow’s aim is “to exhaust our air defence”, he said, “and apply psychological pressure”.

Ukraine had been “systematically working for years” on finding effective solutions to counter the Iranian-designed attack drones, Umerov said.

“It has been a constant intellectual struggle”, he said, due to Russia’s ever-evolving tactics. The Russian drones based on Iran’s Shahed design now fly faster and higher, above the range of Ukraine’s mobile air defence units. The drones also pack a larger warhead than the original ones first used in October 2022.

Meanwhile, Ukraine’s top commander, Oleksandr Syrsky, warned that on the eastern battlefields, Russian troops were “attempting to break through our defences and advance in three operational directions”.

Aided by powerful glide bombs and unjammable fibre optic drones, Russian forces have advanced there at the fastest pace since November and are threatening to encircle the strategic eastern cities of Kostyantynivka and Pokrovsk.

Further north, Moscow’s troops are pushing from Russia’s Kursk region into Ukraine’s Sumy region, and are nearly within artillery range of the regional capital.

Senior Ukrainian officials told the Financial Times that they expected Russia’s ground offensive and air campaign to further intensify over the summer.

“Putin long ago decided he would keep waging war, despite the world’s calls for peace,” Zelenskyy said on X.

Zelenskyy also signed a decree on Sunday to withdraw Ukraine from the Ottawa Convention, which bars the production and use of anti-personnel mines.

Roman Kostenko, a member of parliament and military commander, said parliamentary approval will be needed to finalise the withdrawal, but called it “a step long demanded by the reality of war”.

“Russia is not a party to this convention and uses mines extensively against our military and civilians,” he wrote on Facebook. “We cannot remain bound by restrictions when the enemy faces none.”



Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Mergers & Acquisitions

FTAV’s further reading

Published

on



AI and jobs; Oklahoma and towers; India and retailers; AI and cybercrime; Norway and elections



Source link

Continue Reading

Mergers & Acquisitions

Trump Intel deal designed to block sale of chipmaking unit, CFO says

Published

on


Unlock the White House Watch newsletter for free

The Trump administration’s investment in Intel was structured to deter the chipmaker from selling its manufacturing unit, its chief financial officer said on Thursday, locking it into a lossmaking business it has faced pressure to offload.

The US government last week agreed to take a 10 per cent stake in Intel by converting $8.9bn of federal grants under the 2022 Chips Act into equity, the latest unorthodox intervention by President Donald Trump in corporate America.

The agreement also contains a five-year warrant that allows the government to take an additional 5 per cent of Intel at $20 a share if it ceases to own 51 per cent of its foundry business — which aims to make chips for third-party clients.

“I don’t think there’s a high likelihood that we would take our stake below the 50 per cent, so ultimately I would expect [the warrant] to expire,” CFO David Zinsner told a Deutsche Bank conference on Thursday.

“I think from the government’s perspective, they were aligned with that: they didn’t want to see us take the business and spin it off or sell it to somebody.”

Intel has faced pressure to carve off its foundry business as it haemorrhages cash. It lost $13bn last year as it struggled to compete with rival TSMC and attract outside customers.

Zinsner’s comments highlight how the deal with the Trump administration ties the company’s hands.

Analysts including Citi, as well as former Intel board members, have called for a sale — and Intel has seen takeover interest from the likes of Qualcomm.

Intel’s board ousted chief executive Pat Gelsinger, the architect of its ambitious foundry strategy, in December, which intensified expectations that it could ultimately abandon the business.

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt told reporters on Thursday the deal was being finalised. “The Intel deal is still being ironed out by the Department of Commerce. The T’s are still being crossed, the I’s are still being dotted.”

Intel received $5.7bn of the government investment on Wednesday, Zinsner said. The remaining $3.2bn of the investment is still dependent on Intel hitting milestones agreed under a Department of Defense scheme and has not yet been paid.

He said the warrants could be viewed as “a little bit of friction to keep us from moving in a direction that I think ultimately the government would prefer we not move to”.

He said the direct government stake could also incentivise potential customers to view Intel on a “different level”.

So far, the likes of Nvidia, Apple and Qualcomm have not placed orders with Intel, which has struggled to convince them it has reliable manufacturing processes that could lure them away from TSMC.

As Intel’s new chief executive Lip-Bu Tan seeks to shore up the company’s finances, the government deal also “eliminated the need to access capital markets”, Zinsner explained.

Given the uncertainty over whether Intel would hit the construction milestones required to receive the Chips Act manufacturing grants, converting the government funds to equity “effectively guaranteed that we’d get the cash”.

“This was a great quarter for us in terms of cash raise,” Zinsner added. Intel had also recently sold $1bn of its shares in Mobileye, and was “within a couple of weeks” of closing a deal to sell 51 per cent of its stake in its specialist chips unit Altera to private equity firm Silver Lake, he noted.

SoftBank also made a $2bn investment in Intel last week. Zinsner pushed back against the idea that it had been co-ordinated with the government, as SoftBank chief executive Masayoshi Son pursues an ever-closer relationship with Trump.

“It was coincidence that it fell all in the same week,” Zinsner said.



Source link

Continue Reading

Mergers & Acquisitions

Nuclear fusion developer raises almost $900mn in new funding

Published

on


Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

One of the most advanced nuclear fusion developers has raised about $900mn from backers including Nvidia and Morgan Stanley, as it races to complete a demonstration plant in the US and commercialise the nascent energy technology.   

Commonwealth Fusion Systems plans to use the money to complete its Sparc fusion demonstration machine and begin work on developing a power plant in Virginia. The group secured a deal in June to supply 200 megawatts of electricity to technology giant Google.

The Google deal was one of only a handful of such commercial agreements in the sector and placed CFS at the forefront of fusion companies trying to perfect the technology and develop a commercially viable machine.

CFS has raised almost $3bn since it was spun out of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 2018, drawing investors amid heightened interest in nuclear to meet surging energy demand from artificial intelligence.

“Investors recognise that CFS is making fusion power a reality. They see that we are executing and delivering on our objectives,” said Bob Mumgaard, chief executive and co-founder of CFS. 

New investors in CFS’s latest funding round, which raised $863mn, include NVentures, Nvidia’s venture capital arm, Morgan Stanley’s Counterpoint Global and a consortium of 12 Japanese companies led by Mitsui & Co.

Nuclear fusion seeks to produce clean energy by combining atoms in a manner that releases a significant amount of energy. In contrast, fission — the process used in conventional nuclear power — splits heavy atoms such as uranium into smaller atoms, releasing heat.

CFS is also planning to build the world’s first large-scale fusion power plant in Virginia, which is home to the largest concentration of data centres in the world.

BloombergNEF estimates that US data centre power demand will more than double to 78GW by 2035, from about 35GW last year, and nuclear energy start-ups already have raised more than $3bn in 2025, a 400 per cent increase on 2024 levels.

But experts have warned that addressing the technological challenges to the development of fusion would be expensive, putting into question the viability of the technology.

No group has yet been able to produce more energy from a fusion reaction than the system itself consumes despite decades of experimentation.

“Fusion is radically difficult compared to fission,” said Mark Nelson, managing director of the consultancy Radiant Energy Group, pointing to the incredibly high temperatures and pressures required to combine atoms.

“The hard part is not making fusion reactors. Every step forward towards what may be a dead end economically, looks like something that justifies another billion or a Nobel Prize.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending